COMN 2111 (32)

Oct 18 - Lecture.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
Communication Studies
COMN 2111
Dalton Kehoe

Communication in Everyday Life Lecture – October 18th, 2013 Emotions in Communication – The cognitive Unconscious and Conscious Mind in Interactions Emotions and Feelings  Our body and our conscious mind always have 3 levels of reaction 1. Emotions – biochemical response to changes: instant (+) or (-) evaluation 2. Non-verbal reactions to those bio chemical shifts 3. Cognitive interpretations of these reactions known as feelings Our two minds Interacting  The cognitive unconscious (the body-mind) communicates using biochemical energy (somatic Markers) – “Emotions” o Through them we become conscious pay of stimuli, retrieve information from memory, sort out our perceptions, and decide things. o They fuel our actions o The fuel and the encoding tool of the cognitive unconscious.  We’ve already said the cognitive unconscious and it’s emotions help the conscious mind decide – more than that  But we will also discuss how these bio-chemical surges emerge from the wordless levels of our mind into our conscious internal chatter o To be interpreted and named as feelings o So they can shape our actual thoughts and way of thinking about our bodies Emotions and Cognition Separated for Millenia  Feelings are dangerous st o “Rule your feelings, lest your feelings rule you” (Publius Syrus, 1 Century BC)  Emotion wasn’t studied really until 1990s. Because we spent 3000 years denying their importance  Feelings are always less than thoughts  Rationality is seen as everything  “I think therefore I am” (Rene Descartes 1630s)  “Emotions cause a complete loss of cerebral control [and contain] no trace of conscious purpose” (P.T Young 1936)  The emotions are of quite extraordinary importance in the total economy of living organisms and do not deserve being put into opposition with ‘intelligence’. The emotions are, it seems, themselves a high order of intelligence” (1960….now a new way of thinking) Shifting our Model of Feelings  Our culture provides us with a “common sense” model of feeling awareness  Something happens in the environment – context – we notice it consciously and then respond physiologically with an emotion.  Something happens out there, I go “oh my god” and I get frightened.  This is not actually the way it works.  Do we notice things first or do our bodies notice them first?  A new hypothesis: o Our body-mind has an Affective Appraisal System  Something happens outside of us and our body reacts first – a state of Diffuse Physiological Arousal (DPA)  Then our conscious mind notices the arousal, and seeks to answer a name for why we are aroused.  Matches our internal state of arousal to the situation.  Something happens, we don’t notice it at the conscious level, our body notices first, then we notice the general level with excitement, etc. Real World Research  When we are in a state of DPA not only does our conscious mind look outward to explain why – but it finds a self-enhancing reason  The researches’ hypothesis was that strong emotions are re-labelled as sexual attraction when two conditions are met: a. An acceptable object is present (a good-looking female), and b. The emotion-producing circumstances do not require the full attention of the individual – your life is not at stake c. The men come off the bridge when they’re in a state of high physiological arousal.  The swinging bridge data showed that subjects on the swinging bridge expressed double amount of sexual content in their “creative” story than people on the solid bridge.  The men were in full DPA – their conscious brain found a “logical” answer to it – it must be sexual attraction to the expiramenter – not fear Summary: Where Feelings Come From  Emotions begin as instant bio-chemical responses to changes in our environment: instant positive or negative evaluations, which produce, o Rapid bodily reactions to those bio-chemical shifts (changes of breathing, sweat, muscle tension, etc.) o The conscious brain – the left frontal lob
More Less

Related notes for COMN 2111

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.