COMN 2111 (34)

Nov 22 - Lecture.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
Communication Studies
COMN 2111
Dalton Kehoe

Communication in Everyday Life Lecture – November 22 , 2013d Self Identity and Self Esteem Situated Identity  Situated identity given by the role you play in a situation o Earlier called The Presenting Self o “Respectful student” “Joking friend” “Friendly neighbor” “Helpful worker”  We enact roles that reflect how we want others to see us.  We often unconsciously act in ways that are really small public performances. Conversational Identity or “Face”  As part of our “small public performances” we take a position in conversation  Put some of our emotions on the line as we speak  Other’s responses to our words and non-verbals can cause our “face” to feel enhanced or diminished  This is the moment-to-moment management of identity Why Manage Identity?  Behavior aimed at making impressions  To follow social rules  To accomplish personal goals o Persuade o Relational Changes How we Manage  Manner o Consists of a communicator’s words and nonverbal actions  Appearance o Personal items people use to shape an image  Setting o Physical items we use to influence how others view us Self-Concept and Self Esteem  Self-esteem: feelings about self o Am I capable? (Can I do anything well/right?) o Do I matter? (Am I ok?) o Can I influence my life? (Do I have a choice?)  Based on: o Personal experience/aspirations o Cultural ideals (you may think of yourself as a fabulous person, but people in your environment may not. Also works opposite. If you don’t live up to environmental ideals, can reduce self-esteem. ) o Genetic predispositions Changing Esteem Levels  Recognize and shift your beliefs about your
More Less

Related notes for COMN 2111

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.