Communication Studies
Course
COMN 2111
Professor
Dalton Kehoe
Semester
Fall

Description
Communication in Everyday Life Lecture – March 13 , 2014h The Bases for Relationships Functions of Interpersonal Relationships • To alleviate loneliness • To secure stimulation – humans bring people interesting things to think and do • To maximize pleasure and minimize pain • To gain self­knowledge and self­esteem LOOK AT MASLOW’S HIERARCHY OF NEEDS Relationships Answer Key Questions • Self­concept is perception/cognition of self – who am i? • Self­esteem: how we feel about self: o Do I matter? o Am I capable? o Can I influence my life? Two Key Bases of Human Attraction • Proximity – Geographic closeness o Those we interact with more often • Similarity – People who share o Many of our interests, values, attitudes o Key personal needs: Belonging • Its all about: • Consistency – we like people like us o Live near people socially like us o As we communicate with someone similar to us, we become more similar  in our attitudes toward a given issue • Attraction develops from proximity and similarity in the following situations: o Perceived reciprocity of liking  Attraction to others can depend on whether you feel that the people  you like also like you – similarity  Another’s “liking” increases your self­worth and you return the  compliment with reciprocal liking o Complimentary needs  Attraction is also based on complementarity rather than on  similarity  Dominance/submission, protection/dependence, talk/silence Three Features of Satisfying Relationships • Investment: o What we give to other and cant get back if relationship ends – ourselves,  our history • Commitment: o Belief in future; work through conflict • Trust: o Reliability (do what they say they will do) o Communicate honestly o Rely on other for psychological safety o Build trust through self­disclosure Trust and Self­Disclosure • Should happen gradually • Reciprocity – matching levels – if I tell you something secret about me, I expect  you to reciprocate  • Declines over time – disclosure reaches a peak, but then eventually these  exchanges decrease over time • JOHARI MODEL – MUST KNOW THIS Known to Self Unknown to Self Known to Others 1. Open area 2. Blind Area Unknown to Others 3. Hidden area 4. Unknown area Trust and Self­Disclosure • Early small talk • Breadth – the variety of topics communicated o There are many relationships in which the range of subjects you talk about  is broad, yet discussion remains superficial • Depth – the intimacy of what
More Less

Related notes for COMN 2111

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit