Communication Studies
Course
COMN 2111
Professor
Dalton Kehoe
Semester
Fall

Description
Communication in Everyday Life Lecture – March 20 , 2014h Romantic Love, “Real Love” and the Cycle of Relationships Key Expectations of a romantic relationship • Experience a mysterious and inexplicable “magic” in one another’s presence Falling in “Love” • Sex­linked erotic experience – the chemical cocktail • Effortless – talk is easy • Collapse of ego boundaries always passes • No extension of self – no reaching beyond good feeling The Language of Romantic Love • The phenomena of: o Recognition  We’ve just met, but I feel like I already know you o Timelessness  Feels like I’ve always known you o Reunification  When I’m with you, I feel complete. I’ve found my other half o Necessity  I can’t live without you Romantic Love is an “emotional brain” phenomena • Falling in love o Emotional brain – fuses image of lover with primary caretaker • Intimate love is the ultimate in caretaking o Illusion of safety and security o Total absorption • Instinctual bonding o The way a mother bonds with infant • Not the same as mature or “real” love o That requires consciousness “Real” Love (Commitment): Scott Peck • The will to extend oneself for the purpose of nurturing one’s own or another’s  spiritual growth • Ties self­love with love for other • Requires effort – D.I.A.L.O.G.U.E • Act of mindfulness – will, choice Myth of Romantic Love • There is another “meant for you” – true love • Recognition of this other – you “fall in love” • Perfect match – satisfy each other forever • Fall out of love – dreadful mistake • Search again • Cultural burden – grow up believing certain ways of looking at love, then we feel  that we have made a mistake or it’s a burden to find love again Mass Media and Romance • Traditional formula: o The encounter: courtship o The confrontation: lover’s quarrel o The seduction: sexual – intellectual o Confession of love: after fighting o Marriage: no drama after this • Reality tv has improved on this situation – through shows like “Jessica and nick”  or Dr. Phil o Where the drama is in their incompetence re: daily life skills Life Cycle of Relationships 1. Coming together a. 5 sub­stages 2. coming apart a. 5 sub­stages 3. Maintaining Relationships The Three Key Questions • Whats going on? o The purpose of the talk, are we going to get through this conversation  smoothly? • Who am I to you and who are you to me in this situation? o Particularrly noticeable at moments like the first time you meet someone o We let others know about the kind of people we are and how they are (in  our eyes) • What is going to happen next? o Are we going to do something together (instrumental), or simply connect  in the moment (relational). Discovering what we are going to do next also  shapes our communication in the moment Life Cycle of Relationships • Coming together 1. Initiating • Invitational communication: scan each other for interest – watch response • Connect talk: Ritual conversation starters 2. Experimenting • Try different topics – connect talk – looking for o Similarities – something in common o Any perceived reciprocity of liking 3. Intensifying • Increase relationship depth through personal knowledge – self disclosure –  opening “box 3” • Physical closeness • Creating a private culture 4. Integrating • They and others considers them a couple • Symbolic id – ring, our song, our place
More Less

Related notes for COMN 2111

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit