COMN 3701 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Alvin Toffler, Participatory Culture, Prosumer

126 views5 pages

Document Summary

Last class: political economy - integration of advertising into the content (and the blurring of the lines in them). One can think about political economy as the study of the social relations, especially the power relations, that mutually constitute the production, distribution and consumption of resources. (mosco 2002, 24). This week: political economy of digital media: you as commodity. In promotion culture: things that lie outside the marketplace become understood according to the logics of the marketplace. 21st century = data (replaces the audience [but not entirely]- it commodifies the idea of audience in this century). Prosumers: 1970, alvin toffler - prosumer", industry attempts to involve especially knowledgeable, quasi-professional consumers in production processes (the third wave (1980, the willing seduction of the consumer into production . Watchers pay attention but they have no capacity of interacting with the content, other than a simply (yes, i like the content, no i"m bored and i"m changing the channel .

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers