Class Notes (809,203)
Canada (493,578)
York University (33,561)
Criminology (771)
CRIM 1650 (223)
Lecture 2

CRIM 1650 Lecture 2: Definition of Crime (Con’t)

2 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
CRIM 1650
James Williams

Definition of Crime Con’t Conflict: an act prohibited by people in power in a way to protect their own values and morals Elements: 1. Conflict vs. consensus  Society is divided into a number of groups (unequal) 2. Political exercise  Political interest groups (pressing legislatives)  political aspect 3. Criminal behaviour is a reflection of the interest of the powerful  law is a tool used by people in power to shape law  Ex. Prohibition; alcohol became illegal i. Alcohol intake rates were high + the concern of drinking in the workplace ii. Rather than spending money on alcohol, they would spend on other things, therefore helping the economy iii. A connection between alcohol consumption and crime/violence iv. Consumption was done mostly by immigrants/ working class (in saloons)  Legalized once again 1933 i. Tax revenue ii. Believed that the alcohol industry would provide employment and economic growth iii. Concern that prohibition had
More Less

Related notes for CRIM 1650

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.