CRIM 1650 Lecture Notes - Scared Straight!, Deterrence Theory, Absolute Monarchy

46 views6 pages
elden1340 and 38522 others unlocked
CRIM 1650 Full Course Notes
CRIM 1650 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
4 documents

Document Summary

Rational choice theories free will and free choice. Baccarea wrote a pamphlet (1754) that really came to shape the views of punishment that we still have today. The principle of being innocent until proven guilty emerged fr. these philosophies. Punishment should fit the crime: human behaviour is a product of rational choice and calculation, rather than biological, psychological or spiritual predispositions. Limitations: failure of offenders to consider or care about future punishments. These theories emphasize role of opportunity in crime causation. 4 rational choice objectives (pg 23 boundaries: increasing the perceived required by crime, increasing the perceived risk, reducing the anticipated reward, removing excuses for crime. Limitations: presumption of rationality, i have no idea why i did this. I don"t really know why i did it : we cannot limit human behaviour to rational thinking, which would be overly simplistic , crime displacement.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers