UCR vs. Dark Figure of Crime
Movie - Checklist: A Measure of Evil
• Once of the best ways to recognize a psychopath is by observing their devastating ways
• Psychopaths gets close to you then destroy your life
• You lose your sense of self, emotional security, financial security etc. if involved with
• Psychopaths are very narcissistic, charming, etc. friendly, intelligent
• Complete lack of remorse, empathy, regard
• People involved with psychopaths lost a lot, one woman lost $250 000
• He betrayed her and took delight of her pain, main quality of psychopath is complete
lack of remorse
• They are very cold, and can tell a story with no emotion
• Psychopathy is a form of personality disorder; it is a form of chronic mental disorder.
• MRI scans are used to test whether psychopaths are fundamentally different from
• Violent images and videos create different brain activity in psychopaths then normal
• Psychopaths read emotions
• Psychopaths move around a lot
• 1% of the population are psychopaths, over 300 000 in Canada, over 3 million in US
• 20% of inmates are psychopathic, 6500 in Canada
• PCLRs are used to measure the degree of a psychopathy
• 20 characteristics are used in the PCLR, average people will scored 4-6 points, anyone
who scores more than 30 out of the 40 points is a psychopath
• The test is being wrongly applied, even abused
• Anyone with more than 30 points are more likely to reoffend
• Inmates decisions in these programs can affect their decisions in their future or in courts • The PCLR is divided into 2 sections, Personality, & Case History
• People who grow up in privilege are less likely to have criminal history
• Sometimes for a long period of time, incapacitation is believed to be the only way to deal
with a psychopath.
• Psychopath is a label used to describe individuals to have a degree of a violent history.
Past violent behaviour often leads to future violent behaviour.
• There is a proven biological link to psychopathy. Scientists don’t have a very good
understanding to the brain. Brain activity still remains a mystery.
• There is no evidence of a causal connection of biology and psychopathy.
Slide 2- Cultural and Political Significance
• The US Supreme Court says: there is a short term affect between violence in media and
Slide 3 – Theories of Crime and Criminal Behaviour
• Crime is a form of human behaviour; we are trying to explain why this behaviour occurs,
how it occurs.
• Biological and Psychological approaches to crime are based on the determination of the
• Rational Choice Theories approaches to crime are based on the free will of the
• If you adopt a consensus model of society, you will end up with a social process theory
or alternatively a structural theory. These theories don’t ask questions such as what is
crime it takes crimes for granted.
• As a social theorist, you focus on the sociological approach to crime