York University (33,684)
Economics (1,530)
ECON 2300 (99)
all (10)

2 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
ECON 2300

Intermediate Microeconomic Theory I ECON 2300 – Summer 2011 – Mark Melatos Topic 2 – Consumer Choice – May 19 Assumptions - Individual tastes (preferences) determine the pleasure (‘utility’) people derive from the goods and services they consume. - Consumers’ choice are constrained (e.g. by income). - Consumers maximise utility subject to their constraints. Consumer Preferences - Properties of consumer preferences: o Completeness o Transitivity o Non-satiation (‘more is better’) - Some fundamental concepts o Market basket o Indifference curve IC Slopes - Marginal rate of substitution (MRS) o Slope of the IC at a given market basket. o The amount of one good a consumer is willing to give up obtaining more of another good. Utility - Consumers can rank market baskets according to which give them the most pleasure. - Can assign a numerical value to each basket that reflects the pleasure derived. o I.e. higher utility  more pleasure. - Assumption: ‘utility is an ordinal, not a cardinal measure’. Marginal Utility and the MRS - Marginal utility (MU): measures the extra satisfaction obtained from consuming an extra unit of a good, holding the amount of the other good fixed. The Budget Constraint (BC) - So far, looked at consumer tastes/preferences. - Now, look at what consumers can afford. - BC  all combinations of goods (i.e. market baskets) for which total expenditure = total income. The Consumer’s Problem
More Less

Related notes for ECON 2300

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.