EN 2011 Lecture Notes - The Bloody Chamber, Puer Aeternus, Bsc Young Boys
10 views4 pages
For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
Gender Studies I
EN2011 – Fall 2010 – Terry Goldie
Lecture 3 – Sept 30
- Marchen (Germany) – means wonder-tales, things that are magic.
- Called wonder-tales instead of fairy tales because they don’t have fairies in them,
they have magic and often animal transformations.
- They are folk-tales (a special branch that has wonder and transformation).
- What makes a folk tale?
Not about what they say but rather how they work.
oAn oral tradition
Why an oral tradition?
•The people were not literate.
•The oral form is the form of tradition that goes through a
•Oral is what makes a folktale.
•You can write it down but you have to have an oral story.
•Primarily told by the story teller of the community: kind of like
an authoritative figure.
•Oral has greater presence and greater truth.
•Room for variation and change that leads to a certain kind of
•As culture develops it says ‘yeah we agree with that’ or ‘no
we don’t agree with that’ and certain elements of the story
are kept and other elements are dropped.
- It’s possible that these tales appear in different cultures because it’s tales that
people create no matter where they are.
- It’s possible that Cinderella turns up in different forms because the human nature
- The fear that we all have of losing our family (i.e. losing our mother).
- Blood relations are good and non-blood relations are bad.
- The most common blood relation is the mother and the most common non-blood
relation is the step mother.
- What the folktale does has a strong morality, but they tell you that out there, there
is a really dangerous world and those weird things that happen are directly
reflecting in your real life.
- Fear of the dark – a memory that tells you that the dark is dangerous; i.e. in fairy-
tales – beauty and the beast – there may be wolves.
- When it comes to our understanding of what stories are we usually reflect to
- One of the places we usually end up in is psychology and we will usually explain
a folktale explaining psychology and sometimes we will explain psychology using