English
Course
EN 1001
Professor
Peter Paolucci
Semester
Fall

Description
Old English 600-1066 Medieval English 1066-1492 1066 is the Norman conquest when the French took over England. Renaissance (“Rebirth” Early Modern) 1492-1642/Humanism (when art became humanized-nudity first circled in art) (Interest in language as a subject) 1600-1720 Restoration 18 Century 1790-1840 Romantics (high on opium) 1840-1900 (ca) Victorians 1900-1945 (1960) Modern Era (where poetry forms go in the trash- free verse) Post-modern(breaks down all rational structures) Contemporary text-content context- the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed subtext- an underlying and often distinct theme in a piece of writing or conversation. intertext-the relationship between texts, esp. literary ones Sesquipedalian- (six-footed) (very hard) How to analyze text: 1. what is this thing? (genre, form, theme, language-style, lexis (words, vocabulary) etc.) (literacy is a rhetorical device) 2. who is the audience? 3. Structure? How is it organized, what’s primary, what’s secondary? 4. What is its movement? Linear, circular, iterative (repetitive) and incremental (12 days of Christmas). 5. What is its level of language? Prose, blank verse, and verse The basic unit of prose is the sentence or the paragraph. The basic unit of verse is the lines, but verse must include end rhyme, and ictic regularity (decasyllabic). Blank verse (no metre or rhyme) 6. What devices of figurative language? (wit- the ability to compare two things together) My life is shit (life and shit) 7. Euphemism (pleasant name for unpleasant thing) Where’s the washroom instead of get me to the shit room. Opposite is dysphemism. 8. Hyperbole (exaggeration without the intent to deceive) 9. Metaphor and simile (extended metaphor- conceit LONG METAPHOR) 10. Personification and reification –synecdoche (a part becomes a whole-redhead, blonde, etc.) (take human trait and turn into an object-hands like stone) 11. What is the dominant style? STYLE Paratactic (parataxis) – coordinators (or;:. and but) He ran and ran and then he stopped Hypotactic (hypotaxis) – subordination – which, who, because, if, since, however He ran and ran but then he stopped because he was tired. (this is paratactic and hypotactic, not all sentences have one or the other) Right branching: I walked my dad yesterday morning before I woke up and ate breakfast. right branching has more words on the right side from the main verb which in this case is “walked” Left branching: Yesterday morning, after I awoke and before I had my breakfast, I walked my dog. Left branching has more words on the left side from the main verb which in this case is “walked” Ben Johnson is talking about tentative (hesitant) discourse “skin and coat” – parallelism- range doublet because skins and coats are two
More Less

Related notes for EN 1001

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit