English
Course
EN 1002
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Winter

Description
Intertextualities EN 1002 – Summer 2010 – Cheryl Crawford Lecture 2 – Intertext – June 24 - Literary: o Written o Novels/advertising o Scripts, poetry. o Prose. - Movies - Art, visual, music o Sculpture - Bodies (ourselves as text) - Performance arts - Landmarks (i.e. buildings [i.e. cn tower in Toronto]) - Religious symbols. Three Useful Points - Even so-called ‘foundational’ texts, such as the Bible or Shakespeare’s plays, are intertextual. - Definitions offer us strategies for identifying intertextual relationships. - From the Latin, intertexto, meaning ‘to intermingle while weaving’. Close Reading Strategies - Read with a pencil in hand, and annotate the text. - Look for patterns in the things you’ve noticed about the text – repetitions, contradictions, similarities. - Ask questions about the patterns you’ve noticed – especially how and why. Think, Pair, Share - Think – On your own, re-read Genesis 1:1-7. Highlight details that are surprising, significant, or that raise questions. - Pair – Compare you annotations to those of a neighbour. - What is the text trying to do? How does it do it? Genesis - Binaries: o Chaos and order [there is formlessness there and God creates order] - This is a story that accounts for the order and chaos of the economy and that its influence accounts for the fact that dichotomies are the elemental structure of western society. - How language affects our relationship to the world. This story is on two levels is
More Less

Related notes for EN 1002

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit