English
Course
EN 1006
Professor
Alison Halsall
Semester
Winter

Description
English 1100 B Thursday October 16, 2008 In-Class Writing Assignment - Next Thursday and Friday in tutorial - Worth 50 marks - Close-textual Analysis (Choose 1 of 4 passages) - Analyze passage - No writer’s living reputation can compare to Shakespeare Shakespeare and the Sonnet - Sonnets written between 1590s and 1600s - Chronicle a deeply loving relationship between speaker, young man and “Dark Lady” - Relationship often troubled by: o Absences o Jealousies o Speaker’s perception that other writers are winning young man’s affections o Unhappiness after speaker has been abandoned William Shakespeare (1564-1616) - English poet, dramatist, actor o Lived in Stratford-upon-Avon o Married Anne Hathaway in 1582 - 1592, writing plays and acting in London - Wrote for 3 different acting companies until 1594 - It was crucial for Shakespeare to cultivate important friends for his plays to become performed Shakespeare, Acting and Play-writing - 1594, was a member of Lord Chamberlain’s Men - Troupe became King’s Men after James I came to throne in 1603 o Had one of the best actors (Richard Bourbon) o Had the best theatre (The Globe Theater) o Received royal patronage and considered members of the royal household o Globe was public playhouse  appealed to all classes of citizens o In Shakespeare’s time, actors rehearsed individually  this is why most of Shakespeare’s big scenes had no more than 2-3 actors The Sixteenth Century (1485-1603) - Queen Elizabeth I ruled between 1558-1603 o England regained internal balance and external dynamism o Time of cultural renewal  Renaissance period o Revolution in reading  Growth in building of schools and expanding university system o Time of exploration, both creative and geographical  Internally stable, and also traveling across the world for exploration and colonial reasons The Great Chain of Being - Whole cosmos created and kept working by God - All creation part of a chain - Elizabeth I, God’s deputy on earth o
More Less

Related notes for EN 1006

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit