English (906)
EN 1006 (47)

5B October 22 Othello.doc

4 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
EN 1006
Alison Halsall

ENG 1100 B October 22, 2008 Othello, the “honourable murderer” - Tragedy features disastrous downfall of protagonist - Order of Venice vs. Disorder of Cyprus - Othello’s strong military focus: little knowledge of “worldly” matters - “My life upon her faith!” (I, iii, 292)= Othello’s intense, impassioned love - Very level headed, mature, focused, very unlike someone young Othello in Cyprus - Disorder begins to surface - Brawl between Casio and Rodrigo o “Going Turk” (II, iii 161-63) o Ironic, because Othello himself “goes Turk” - Othello surrenders his passions - Othello’s truth (promise) to Iago o “I am bound to thee for ever” (III, iii, 216) = perversion of marriage vow Importance of Eyes and Seeing - Conflict between suspicions and proof - “Seeing is believing” - Othello: “Show me thy thought” (III, iii, 119) o Othello falls prey to Iago’s manipulations - Othello loses faith in cold, hard facts o Believes whatever he is told o “Hearing is believing” Othello and Passion - 4 humours are imbalanced - Tormented by monster of Jealousy - Employs misogynistic language o “Unnatural” and animalistic descriptors o Toad metaphors  III, iii, 273-76  IV, ii, 61-2 - Othello’s collapse - Commits suicide on marriage bed, linking sex with death - Othello’s jealousy and proneness to manipulation seem to be his tragic flaws o Cannot distinguish appearance from reality
More Less

Related notes for EN 1006

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.