Professional Writing: Process and Practice
EN 1700 – Fall/Winter 2009/2010 – Jan Rehner
Lecture 12 – Girl, Interrupted – Jan 4
- Theories of composing.
- Process becomes chaotic (pre-writing to writing to pre-writing again etc), it is
- Practice to find critical fiction strategies and film discourse.
- The heart of writing is having something to say, communicating something you
Life writing: Autobiography and Memoir
- Construction of self/narrative voice/language.
- Supposed to tell the truth in life writing.
- Includes personal letters, diaries, any writing that people might do as their lived
experience, can also include collections of e-mails.
o Western form which originates as the Christian version of a confessional.
o Usually written in first person singular (I).
o Chronicles a single life in a chronological way.
o Typically meaningful events.
o Usually of a lived life and represents a defined identity.
o Difficult choice to make as a writer cause you have to discuss aspects of
your life, you have to select things to put in and out.
o Related to m