York University (33,498)
English (895)
EN 2011 (42)
all (9)

2 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
EN 2011

Gender Studies I EN2011 – Fall 2010 – Terry Goldie Lecture 2 – Sept 23 - Homosexuality identity – sodomite. - Erotic interest. - The role of science in sexuality/sexual orientation. - Cultural interpretation of sex. - Nature vs. nurture. - Separating sexuality from reproduction. Science - Pleasure. - ‘It’s not that the table doesn’t exist, it’s that it only becomes of importance when one thinks about that.’ - We begin understanding of the world with the prejudice. - To have a neutral way of understanding anything, specifically gender is impossible. Nature vs. Nurture - Scientific understanding is better on nature than it is on nurture. - Where does nature end and where does nurture begin? o Nature – the way you come out (physically). o Nurture – the way you are born, long hair and short hair. - People who are quiet become loud, like they have a ticking bomb that went off. - Who you are is constructed by society (social construction). - Essentialist vs. existentialist – I am who I am because of my existence. o Existentialist – when I am born I begin and when I die I end. o Essentialist – Religion. Idea that you have an essence that precedes existence. - The essence of your is that idea of connecting to God. Erotic Interest - There are some people that have an erotic interest in the same or opposite sex. - Those who are bisexual are lying/confused or not willing to tell. - Papua New Guinea – Because of the cultural interpretation, reproduction or not the main sexual reason/act. What produces warriors is the sexual interaction between male and boys. Homosexual Identity – Sodomite - Increase of understanding of sexuality. - Interesting projector of the understanding of sexuality. - Fear focuses over male homosexuality. - It begins in western culture
More Less

Related notes for EN 2011

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.