Gender Studies I
EN2011 – Fall 2010 – Terry Goldie
Lecture 6 – Oct 21
Fall On Your Knees
- An event or object that is essential to the novel:
o Kathleen’s diary.
o The family tree.
o Lily meeting Rose.
o Rose’s suit.
o Green dress.
o Ambrose Nightgown.
- Saint Ambrose is the source of the religious quotes that are on the funeral cards.
- Saint Ambrose becomes Frances and Lily’s guide.
- What Rose’s suit represents in terms of Rose’s sexuality and Lily’s sexuality.
- Billy Tipton was a jazz performer, and he is an interesting figure in our
understanding of our sexuality. He dressed as a man on stage from the age of
18, in his early life he was referred to as a lesbian. He appeared the way he did
because he wanted to succeed in a man-dominated field.
- There is no reason to presume that Rose’s father exists. It is possible that it is a
character that Rose created just to give herself a father figure. Everything must
have a creator.
- She wants to be ‘Daddy’s girl’, the figure of her father.
- Is Rose explainable by her father? Her mother.
- Her sexuality could be a result of her mother’s career?
- If she is a response to her mother, her mother’s prostitution and drugs, play a
role in her sexuality.
- Rose looks after her mother’s drug addiction.
- Rose wants to reject what her mother is.
- Why does her mother want her to be such a success?
o Rose’s colour is an issue both positive and negative.
o Be proud of your colour, be a representative of your colour.
o Don’t show your colour. Don’t be the low down person that the white
person wants you to be.
o There is her mother dealing with a black child in a white society and trying
to make her the best black person in their society.
- Why is Jean who she is? Why is she a mess?
o She is from an upper class background.
o She has offended her family.
o She wants to reject that family but she can’t.
- Jeans relationship to Kathleen.
- After she has the dream about Pete, she turns to daddy in her own mind.
- But daddy is Pete. The sexual abuser. - In the same way that James as the abuser divides herself from the devil, so does
Kathleen divide her father from Pete. The good person is divided from the bad
- Everything that is good is Daddy.
- She has divided her father from Pete, so her father is not the abuser.
- Russell Williams make the person who committed the crime a different person.
- Kathleen has been taught she can do anything and make her family life into a
- It is not something only at the end of the book but also at the beginning of the
- ‘They are all dead now..’ Lily is stalking to Anthony.
- Presumably Lily is talking to Anthony, through the entire book.
- The family tree, when Mercedes try to make it, is buried under a rock because
Lily defaces it.
- Lily colours in the family tree, colour referring to skin.
- A sense of colour as ethnicity related to religion and understanding.
- When there is something intimate going on between Lily and Francis it’s in
- Modernism are something that is related to your language but they have
- Mothers are something that has a deep understanding.
- One of Kathleen’s great failures is to reject her mother and praise her father.
- Adele is thinking about the evil in the Piper family, she says ‘men don’t know that
these things exist.’
- Good women feel, men tend to cause trouble when they get involved. (like sperm
- They have a family tree in which the real meaning of family is always something
on the side.
- Who is Anthony’s father? Leo.
- Why does Francis choose Leo? She believe that Ginger impregnated Kathleen.
- Why does Francis want a child? She drowned Ambrose. She’s replacing
Ambrose with the father that she thinks is the father of Ambrose and Lily.
- Who should be the father of Ambrose and Lily? Rose.
- Rose is the symbolic father of Ambrose and Lily.
- Mercedes puts the equal sign between Kathleen and Rose.
- Anthony in that sense becomes Rose’s grandson.
- Rose’s daughter, Lily comes back and then you get Anthony coming back and
meeting his grandfather.
- The family tree is confusing.
- No one wan