English
Course
EN 2012
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Winter

Description
Gender Studies II EN2012 – Winter 2011 – Terry Goldie Lecture 9 – ‘Middlesex Novel’ – Mar 10 Inter-Sex - Everyone begins life neither male nor female, when hormones kick in, one becomes male or female (after birth and then after puberty again). - Latent maleness can become full-fledged male later on. - Terminology is simple a name for the process of which medical treatment follows, i.e. diabetic. - Intersex like other medical conditions, possibly a defect. - Anyone biologically other than strictly male or female is intersex (based on rigid criteria, i.e. clearly ambiguous genitalia among others); definition is open book. - Idea of the intersexual (being one thing or the other)… - Hermaphrodite comes from Greek term, hermaphrodites child of Hermes and Aphrodite, meaning both female and male, seen pejorative, not used anymore. Middlesex Novel - About Calle’s ancestry, about Greeks and Turks/mythology; genetic hiccup and small gene pool reinforced causes Calle’s problem. - Myth becomes the narrative of which we understand our lives by Frye, i.e. religions are examples of these myths – sense of something that we use to understand our lives. - Term hermaphrodite suggests a blending of the absolute sexes, bridges divide; biologically possible but realistically not so in society. - Part of intersex activist movement believes mutilation should not happen; say
More Less

Related notes for EN 2012

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit