EN 2140 Lecture
March 7, 2012
Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
o Art for art's sake.
o Life should imitate art.
• Went to oxford.
• Witty, Flamboyant
• Preplanned his life - famous or notorious.
• Made himself into a celebrity.
o Gilbert and Sullivan made a character in their play Patience which was based on
• Became a staple in society before he was published.
The Importance of Being Earnest
• Victorian age.
o Very structured social code/realm
o Decorum - religious, marital, courting etc.
§ The stricter the code, the easier it is to make fun of.
• I.O.B.E - makes fun of this decorum.
o Pure entertainment
o Written in a short amount of time.
o Trivialities, making fun of society.
• Serious and trivial things are treated the opposite way in which they are supposed to.
o When he says he smoked, she tells him that a man needs to have a hobby - it was