English
Course
EN 3070
Professor
Ian Balfour
Semester
Winter

Description
EN 3070 03.07.17 Malcolm X • Autobiography – no predetermined shape, principle has to correspond to the life; lives don’t come in literary shapes • Can’t be an ending to one’s own autobiography because you can’t write your own death; radically doesn’t correspond to other literary forms • To compensate for that, internally and in advance of the ending, there are ways of shaping and making sense of the life in advance of the end • Figurative or symbolic death is usually inserted which they then survive and write about in retrospect; written from “beyond the grave” of symbolic death, looking back on former self • Pg. 128; almost dies by shooting, first time he’s pleased to see cops o “mentally dead” just didn’t know that I was o thinks that his former self was dead, that he’s now survived it and is writing from beyond that • Anticipates a violent death for himself early on; pg. 141 o I was slightly out of my mind, expect to die at any time o Looking back and forwards shapes the text in advance of his actual death • Retro-actively making sense of the text of his life as providential o Allah was watching over him, protecting him; that’s what he uses to justify events in his life o After he’s converted to Muslim, he’s got a more biblical sense of his life; pg. 170 o Starts to slot his own life into a macro-historical narrative provided by scripture Filmic version of Autobiography • Lee thought of filming the text of the life rather than the life straight out • Singularity o Presupposes an identity of a person over time, thought to be indicated in a minimal way by the name of the person; the theory is that every individual has a name that distinguishes them from other individ
More Less

Related notes for EN 3070

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit