York University (33,719)
English (906)
EN 3170 (6)

2 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
EN 3170
Peter Paolucci

Review February 10 For the essay:   Pick one or 2 things form a theorist and apply it to 1 or 2 instances in the novel/story (pick the one that gives you the most mileage/length)  Write your first paragraph last  Don't use long quotes--the fewer words, the better  Don't use 3 examples for one thing--use the 1 that gives you the most words  To be submitted as a digital copy ([email protected])--failure to follow submission instructions results in automatic 5% deduction; .doc or .docx file; automatic 24-hour extension, no questions asked  Call document: Essay1paolucci.doc  Page numbers in top right; works cited page gets numbered as well Revision Strategies for essays:  Grammar, syntax, spelling  *Do I have a thesis?  *With every paragraph: what does this have to do with my argument? (focus)  Vocabulary--don't use a thesaurus; one word does not necessarily equal another--don't need to provide variety, don't use words interchangeably  Don't waste time defining terms; use it in a way that shows you understand it  Redundancy, overuse--pruning  *Flow--transitions (e.g. sectional, paragraph)  Quotes--make sure it's relevant to your point; check accuracy; for transparency's sake, unpack
More Less

Related notes for EN 3170

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.