English
Course
EN 3170
Professor
Peter Paolucci
Semester
Winter

Description
"Dracula" January 13 1. What is the self (Who am I)? 2. What is gender? 3. What configuration of values/anxieties/impossibilities does the vampire represent?  Literary form/genre: the epistolary novel (it's written in the form of letters); results in ability for multiple narrators, different opinions/views/accounts--> seen through different eyes; Dracula is a novel about perceptions--it's also a novel about senses, particularly smell  None of these narrators (these are dramatic narrators) are reliable because they are not omniscient  Epistemology, Erotetic  Certain problems emerge in the beginning, and are addressed in the latter parts of the book  As Harker crosses through Buda into Pesth, he starts to hear and see odd things; he crosses into the world of the exotic--even the people look weird to him; also, the spices and clothes there are weird/foreign/exotic  Dracula's castle is real, but not known--> it is not on a map; Harker is journeying into disorientation; the longer he's in the castle, the more confused and feminine he becomes  What is bad needs to be killed off  Watch for pairs of things  "A Dracula Handbook," Elizabeth Miller  "Bram Stoker's Notes for Dracula: A Facsimile Edition," Elizabeth Miller  Stoker made a note not to include mirrors in Dracula's castle; mirrors are an affirmation of our physical existence; he's journeying into the unknown/what you can't see  Authorial intent=what the author intended  In Coppola's "Bram Stoker's Dracula," there's a moment where Dracula's shadow does something different from him--brilliant.  John Polidori, "The Vampyre"; Sheridan Le Fanu, "Carmilla"  Stoker wanted the notion of no shadow to be in the novel; interesting notion that something that's not there exists (the vampire appears to be there, but he has no shadow--how do we know that he exists?)  Stoker also wanted the idea of painters being unable to paint Dracula/him always looking like someone else in paintings to be in the novel  Vampire represents something that is real but not tangible  Johari's Window: Known to Self Not Known to Self Known to Others OPEN (we all know) BLIND (others know, but I don't) Not Known to Others HIDDEN/PRIVATE (I know, but UNKNOWN (I don't know and you don't; a secret) you don't know; experience over time teaches us that something is there) Conscious Mind Unconscious Mind  Jung and Freud try to explain why t
More Less

Related notes for EN 3170

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit