Crime and Punishment (1866) Dostoevsky (in translation)
Dr. Rimma Volynska
Novel written in third person narrative, characterized in particular by its stream of
• We are allowed into consciousnesses of more characters than just protagonist
o Important to note which characters, and to analyze why.
• Presents a more objective and detached point of view, a variation of the omniscient
Tsar a divine position, ordained by lineage and will of God.
1863: Alexander II abolishes serfdom.
• This is followed by a resettlement of the gentry from rural to urban environments.
Raznochintsy: offspring of newly impoverished gentry.
• Also a generation open to new ideologies, as they were forced to find a means of
Rodion Romanovich Raskolnikov
• Rodya an example • Patronymic name, -ovich