6 Pages
Winter 2014

Department
Engineering
Course Code
ENG 2002
Professor
Hany E.Z.Farag

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
PROBLEM SOLUTIONS
1. Calculate the fraction of atom sites that are vacant for lead at its melting temperature of 327°C (600 K). Assume
an energy for vacancy formation of 0.55 eV/atom.
Solution
In order to compute the fraction of atom sites that are vacant in lead at 600 K, we must employ Equation
4.1. As stated in the problem, Qv = 0.55 eV/atom. Thus,
N
v
N= exp Q
v
kT
= exp 0.55 eV/atom
(8.62 × 10
eV/atom- K)(600 K)
= 2.41 × 10-5
2. Calculate the activation energy for vacancy formation in aluminum, given that the equilibrium number of
vacancies at 500
°
C (773 K) is 7.57
1023 m-3. The atomic weight and density (at 500
°
C) for aluminum are,
respectively, 26.98 g/mol and 2.62 g/cm3.
Solution
Upon examination of Equation 4.1, all parameters besides Qv are given except N, the total number of
atomic sites. However, N is related to the density, (ρAl), Avogadro's number (NA), and the atomic weight (AAl)
according to Equation 4.2 as
N = N
A
ρ
Al
A
Al
=
(
6.022 × 10
atoms /mol
)(
2.62 g /cm
)
26.98 g /mol
= 5.85 × 1022 atoms/cm3 = 5.85 × 1028 atoms/m3
Now, taking natural logarithms of both sides of Equation 4.1,
ln N
v
= ln N Q
v
kT
Excerpts from this work may be reproduced by instructors for distribution on a not-for-profit basis for testing or instructional purposes only to
students enrolled in courses for which the textbook has been adopted. Any other reproduction or translation of this work beyond that permitted
by Sections 107 or 108 of the 1976 United States Copyright Act without the permission of the copyright owner is unlawful.
and, after some algebraic manipulation
Q
v
= kT ln N
v
N
=
(
8.62 × 10-5 eV/atom- K
)
(500°C + 273 K) ln 7.57 × 1023 m3
5.85 × 1028 m3
= 0.75 eV/atom
Excerpts from this work may be reproduced by instructors for distribution on a not-for-profit basis for testing or instructional purposes only to
students enrolled in courses for which the textbook has been adopted. Any other reproduction or translation of this work beyond that permitted
by Sections 107 or 108 of the 1976 United States Copyright Act without the permission of the copyright owner is unlawful.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
PROBLEM SOLUTIONS 1. Calculate the fraction of atom sites that are vacant for lead at its melting temperature of 327°C (600 K). Assume an energy for vacancy formation of 0.55 eV/atom. Solution In order to compute the fraction of atom sites that are vacant in lead at 600 K, we must employ Equation 4.1. As stated in the problem, Q= 0.55 eV/atom. Thus, v N v  Q v  0.55 eV/atom  = exp   = exp  −5  N  kT   (8.62 × 10 eV/atom- K )(600 K)  = 2.41 × 10-5 2. Calculate the activation energy for vacancy formati on in aluminum, given that the equilibrium number of vacancies at 500 °C (773 K) is 7.57 × 10 23m . The atomic weight and density (at 500 °C) for aluminum are, respectively, 26.98 g/mol and 2.62 g/cm . Solution Upon examination of Equation 4.1, all parameters besides Q are given except N, the total number of v atomic sites. However, N is related to the density, ( ρ ), Avogadro's number ( N ), and the atomic weight ( A ) Al A Al according to Equation 4.2 as N A Al N = AAl (6.022 × 10 23 atoms/mol )(2.62 g/cm 3) = 26.98 g/mol = 5.85 × 1022 atoms/cm = 5.85 × 10 28 atoms/m 3 Now, taking natural logarithms of both sides of Equation 4.1, lnN = lnN − Q v v kT Excerpts from this work may be reproduced by instructors for distribution on a not -for-profit basis for testing or instructional purposes only to students enrolled in courses for which the textbook hasAny other reproduction or translation of this work beyond that permitted by Sections 107 or 108 of the 1976 United States Copyright Act without the permission of the copyright owner is unlawful. and, after some algebraic manipulation N  Q = − kT ln  v  v  N  -5  7.57 × 10 23 m −3 = − (8.62 × 10 eV/atom - K)(500°C + 273 K) ln 28 −3  5.85 × 10 m  = 0.75 eV/atom Excerpts from this work may be reproduced by instructors for distribution on a not -for-profit basis for testing or instructional purposes only to students enrolled in courses for which the textbook haAny other reproduction or translation of this work beyond that permitted by Sections 107 or 108 of the 1976 United States Copyright Act without the permission of the copyright owner is unlawful. 3. What is the composition, in atom percent, of an alloy that consists of 30 wt% Zn and 70 wt% Cu? Solution In order to compute composition, in atom percent, of a 30 wt% Zn -70 wt% Cu alloy, we employ Equation 4.6 as ' CZnACu CZn = C A +C A × 100 Zn Cu Cu Zn (30)(63.55 g/mol) = (30)(63.55 g/mol) + (70)(65.41 g/mol) 100 = 29.4 at% C ' = CCu Zn × 100 Cu C Zn Cu +CCu Zn (70)(65.41 g/mol) = × 100 (30)(63.55 g/mol) + (70)(65.41 g/mol) = 70.6 at% 4. For an ASTM grain size of 8, approximately how many grains would there be per square inch at (a) a magnification of 100, and (b) without any magnification? Solution (a) This part of problem asks that we compute the number of grains per square inch for an ASTM grain size of 8 at a magnification of 100 ×. All we need do is solve for the parameter N in Equation 4.16, inasmuch as n = 8. Thus n−1 N = 2 8−1 2 = 2 = 128 grains/in. Excerpts from this work may be reproduced by instructors for distribution on a not -for-profit basis for testing or instructional purposes only to students enrolled in courses for which the textboAny other reproduction or translation of this work beyond that permitted by Sections 107 or 108 of the 1976 United States Copyright Act without the permission of the copyright owner is unlawful. (b) Now it is necessary to compute the value of N for no magnification. In order to s
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit