Class Notes (921,234)
CA (542,480)
York (38,447)
GEOG (343)
GEOG 1400 (34)
Lecture 33

GEOG 1400 Lecture 33: Geog 1400 – LECTURE NOTES #33 (Jan. 7th)
Premium

4 Pages

Department
Geography
Course Code
GEOG 1400
Professor
Andre Robert

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Geog 1400 – Jan. 7th
Stratification/Water Movement Within Lakes (Last class)
- Different layers, top is warmer, bottom is colder. Highest density at the bottom, lower at
the top.
- Epilimnion: Top Layer of warm water.
- Hypolumnion: High density
- Thermocline: Temperature changes more rapidly in between the top and bottom layer.
- In winter everything switches. So the warm part is at the bottom, cool part at the top.
- The wind will trigger mixing of the lake, strong mixing and the top will get colder.
- This tends to be more specific in larger lakes.
Glaciers
(Image)
- Alpine glacier, google image. At the bottom is the valley and lots of debris. Downslope,
valley glacier.
- Rivers and glaciers the two most significant.
8. Glacier formation and movement
- Today just about formation and movement.
a) Glaciers – Intro
- Three categories:
Past continental ice sheets.
Current major ice sheets.
Valley glaciers.
- Over the geological time there have been many glaciations. About 15000 years ago there
was a huge glacier covering a big part of North America and Europe.
- If you are in a zone that was once glaciated there are usually a lot of debris, and things
that was created during that time.
- That ice sheet was referred to as the Laurentide Ice Sheet.
- This was the last glaciation.
Maximum Glaciations North America
(Image)
- Area covered by the Laurentide ice sheet.
Glaciers
- Plastic because the glaciation deforms, moves and changes shape.
Ice Growth
- How does this work?
- Accumulation of snow happens, you have compaction of the snow layers, the
consequence is that there is change in density, light or heavy. The density of the snow
varies between temperatures and distance, etc.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Geog 1400 – Jan. 7 th Stratification/Water Movement Within Lakes (Last class) - Different layers, top is warmer, bottom is colder. Highest density at the bottom, lower at the top. - Epilimnion: Top Layer of warm water. - Hypolumnion: High density - Thermocline: Temperature changes more rapidly in between the top and bottom layer. - In winter everything switches. So the warm part is at the bottom, cool part at the top. - The wind will trigger mixing of the lake, strong mixing and the top will get colder. - This tends to be more specific in larger lakes. Glaciers (Image) - Alpine glacier, google image. At the bottom is the valley and lots of debris. Downslope, valley glacier. - Rivers and glaciers the two most significant. 8. Glacier formation and movement - Today just about formation and movement. a) Glaciers – Intro - Three categories: Past continental ice sheets. Current major ice sheets. Valley glaciers. - Over the geological time there have been many glaciations. About 15000 years ago there was a huge glacier covering a big part of North America and Europe. - If you are in a zone that was once glaciated there are usually a lot of debris, and things that was created during that time. - That ice sheet was referred to as the Laurentide Ice Sheet. - This was the last glaciation. Maximum Glaciations North America (Image) - Area covered by the Laurentide ice sheet. Glaciers - Plastic because the glaciation deforms, moves and changes shape. Ice Growth - How does this work? - Accumulation of snow happens, you have compaction of the snow layers, the consequence is that there is change in density, light or heavy. The density of the snow varies between temperatures and distance, etc. - As you have accumulation, physical compaction takes place, takes away the air bubbles, and there is a gradual increase in density. - Transition stage between snow and ice, related to compaction of the snow and the density. - As the process of this continues you get a glacier. - Change in density is the main part of the definition. Transformation – Snow to Ice - If you have cold temperatures but low snow accumulations, it will take longer, same with dry places that are very cold. - Snow accumulation rates and time is important. c) Alpine Glaciers (Image) - This diagram of the glacier is important, the terms will be defined in this lecture and the next lecture. - Movement due to gravitational flow and sliding of the bedrock. Internal flow is always present. Athabasca Glacier (Rockies, AB) - Comes from the Colombia ice fields which sits on top the of the rockies. - From that ice field there are valley glaciers flowing down. Saskatchewan Glacier Franz Josef Glacier, NZ - Valley glacier. - South island of New Zealand. - Even more spectacular. - Bottom is a few meters above sea level and not very cold. - A lot of precipitation, and it is a dynamic system. Alpine Glaciers - Valley glaciers originate from a depression in the bedrock where snow accumulates, and when it reaches a certain point it flows out off the cirque and the formation of the entire ice mass begins. (zone where is feeds the glacier – accumulation zone) - Once large enough it flows slowly from the upslope (zone of
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit