Greek and Roman History
On Wednesday 3 October there will be an in-class essay, in the lecture hall, 11:30-
Please arrive on time.
You should prepare the following questions:
1. What were than main similarities and differences between Minoan and Mycenaean
- Palaces control large areas (political center)
- Largely peaceful
- Possible indications of human sacrifice
- Water supply and drainage in palace
- Minoans from Crete
- Bulls part of culture
- Sites culturally uniform, but appear to be politically independent.
- military based
- wealth of elite
o golden mask, death mask
- Minoans got their name from king Minos the King who insulted Zeus so he punished him by having
his queen get pregnant by a bull. She gave birth to the Minotaur.
- Mycenae was founded by the Greek the hero Perseus and his wife Andromeda after his exploits.
giving rise to the Perseid Dynasty.
- Mycenaeans take over