4 Pages

Department
History
Course Code
HIST 3180
Professor
Thabit Abdullah
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Week 19 26th Feb. 2018
Relations with the Arabs
-early principalities
Earliest Arabs, were 1000 years before Sassanid. First reference to Arabs were the Assyrian,
700-800 BC.
They had a complicated relationship with their more sophisticated northern neighbours.
Most of the Arab peninsula were covered in deserts.
The deserts go all the way to the Syrian land.
There was a tense relationship.
There was trade.
The Arabs after several centuries, began to perfect the animal, and they had to keep moving.
When they keep moving they had to be nomad life’s
This leads to 2 things
1. community had to be small (around 200 people)
2. sense of kingship solidarity (you belong to a single tribe; hence it was very strong to
belong to a tribe, the only reason they survived, was due to the strong attachment to
tribes, sense of honour) they were considered by their neighbour as mercenaries for
being a strong warrior.
With more time, there were more interaction, with more trade, lead to wealth, which
created early Arab principalities.
Places where principalities occurred were in the north, Palmyra, hatra, Petra and in
Yemen.
During 2nd CENTURY BCE, there were towns established by the Nabateans
(mixture of people but most likely Arabs)
HATRA managed to avoid being captured, until Shapur I who captured the city.
The Princess of hatra was called al-Nadira.
During the reign of Shapur II, he receives an embassy from Yemen, to help them
against Ethiopian and Byzantium attack.
-Al- Hira
It was the most Arab city, it was founded during the reign of Ardeshir.
There was an Arab tribe called Banu Tannukh, where a tribe that reached the Sassanid
border.
There was an agreement with Ardeshir, that they would be there, and be allies to the Sassanid
Empire.
Banu Lakhm was the head of the tribe.
Once Al-Hira was established, the head of the tribe negotiate with Ardeshir that if Sassanid
provided for them, they would become their Allies.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Week 19 26 Feb. 2018 Relations with the Arabs early principalities Earliest Arabs, were 1000 years before Sassanid. First reference to Arabs were the Assyrian, 700800 BC. They had a complicated relationship with their more sophisticated northern neighbours. Most of the Arab peninsula were covered in deserts. The deserts go all the way to the Syrian land. There was a tense relationship. There was trade. The Arabs after several centuries, began to perfect the animal, and they had to keep moving. When they keep moving they had to be nomad lifes This leads to 2 things 1. community had to be small (around 200 people) 2. sense of kingship solidarity (you belong to a single tribe; hence it was very strong to belong to a tribe, the only reason they survived, was due to the strong attachment to tribes, sense of honour) they were considered by their neighbour as mercenaries for being a strong warrior. With more time, there were more interaction, with more trade, lead to wealth, which created early Arab principalities. Places where principalities occurred were in the north, Palmyra, hatra, Petra and in Yemen. nd During 2 CENTURY BCE, there were towns established by the Nabateans (mixture of people but most likely Arabs) HATRA managed to avoid being captured, until Shapur I who captured the city. The Princess of hatra was called alNadira. During the reign of Shapur II, he receives an embassy from Yemen, to help them against Ethiopian and Byzantium attack. Al Hira It was the most Arab city, it was founded during the reign of Ardeshir. There was an Arab tribe called Banu Tannukh, where a tribe that reached the Sassanid border. There was an agreement with Ardeshir, that they would be there, and be allies to the Sassanid Empire. Banu Lakhm was the head of the tribe. Once AlHira was established, the head of the tribe negotiate with Ardeshir that if Sassanid provided for them, they would become their Allies.
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit