ADMS 2600 - 8.docx

6 Pages

Department
Human Resources Management
Course Code
HRM 2600
Professor
Ron Ophir

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Ch. 8 - Appraising and Improving Performance
Performance Appraisal includes paperwork; difficult to take emotions out of the performance appraisal
- A process, performed annually by a superior for a subordinate, designed to help employees
understand their roles, objectives, expectations, and performance success
Performance Development includes an on-going theme, retention issues, and total compensation
package part of Performance Management piece (managers create program to influence employees to
improve them and to motivate them to perform at a higher level)
- The process of creating a work environment in which people can perform to the best of their
abilities
Development
- Provide performance feedback
- Individual strengths/weaknesses
- Reinforce authority structure
- Improve communication
Administrative
- Document personnel decisions
- Promotion candidates
- Decide on layoffs
- Personnel planning
*Performance Appraisal and Other HRM Functions
(How does performance appraisal relate to other parts of HR?)
Recruitment performance appraisal judge effectiveness of recruitment efforts/ quality of applicants
determines feasible performance standards
Selection performance appraisal validates selection function/ selection should produce workers best
able to meet job requirements
Training and Development performance appraisal determines training needs/ training and
development aids achievement of performance standards
Compensation Management performance appraisal is a factor in determining pay/ compensation can
affect appraisal of performance
Labour Relations performance appraisal justifies personnel actions/ appraisal standards and methods
may be subject to negotiation
Reasons Appraisal Programs Sometimes Fail
- Lack of top-management information and support
- Unclear performance standards
- Difficult to give negative feedback
- Use of the appraisal program for conflicting (political) purposes
Developing an Effective Appraisal Program
Strategic Relevance: individual standards directly relate to strategic goals. For example: are the
employees willing to travel to different countries to work?
Criterion Deficiency: Standards capture all of an individual’s contributions. For example: how well they
perform the job
Criterion Contamination: Performance capability is not reduced by external factors. The external factors
breeding into the performance appraisal.
Reliability (Consistency): standards are quantifiable, measurable, and stable.
Guidelines for Appraisals
- Performance ratings must be job-related
- Employees must be given a written copy of their job standards in advance of appraisals
- Managers who conduct the appraisal must be able to observe the behaviour they are rating
- Supervisors must be trained to use the appraisal form correctly
- Appraisals should be discussed openly with employees and counselling or corrective guidance
offered
Sources of Performance Appraisal
Manager and/or Supervisor
- Appraisal done by an employee’s manager and reviewed by a manager one level higher.
Subordinate Appraisal
- Appraisal of a superior by an employee, which is more appropriate for developmental than for
administrative purposes.
Self-Appraisal
- Appraisal done by the employee being evaluated, generally on an appraisal form completed by the
employee prior to the performance interview.
Peer Appraisal

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Ch. 8 - Appraising and Improving Performance Performance Appraisal includes paperwork; difficult to take emotions out of the performance appraisal - A process, performed annually by a superior for a subordinate, designed to help employees understand their roles, objectives, expectations, and performance success Performance Development includes an on-going theme, retention issues, and total compensation package – part of Performance Management piece (managers create program to influence employees to improve them and to motivate them to perform at a higher level) - The process of creating a work environment in which people can perform to the best of their abilities Development - Provide performance feedback - Individual strengths/weaknesses - Reinforce authority structure - Improve communication Administrative - Document personnel decisions - Promotion candidates - Decide on layoffs - Personnel planning *Performance Appraisal and Other HRM Functions (How does performance appraisal relate to other parts of HR?) Recruitment – performance appraisal judge effectiveness of recruitment efforts/ quality of applicants determines feasible performance standards Selection – performance appraisal validates selection function/ selection should produce workers best able to meet job requirements Training and Development – performance appraisal determines training needs/ training and development aids achievement of performance standards Compensation Management – performance appraisal is a factor in determining pay/ compensation can affect appraisal of performance Labour Relations – performance appraisal justifies personnel actions/ appraisal standards and methods may be subject to negotiation Reasons Appraisal Programs Sometimes Fail - Lack of top-management information and support - Unclear performance standards - Difficult to give negative feedback - Use of the appraisal program for conflicting (political) purposes Developing an Effective Appraisal Program Strategic Relevance: individual standards directly relate to strategic goals. For example: are the employees willing to travel to different countries to work? Criterion Deficiency: Standards capture all of an individual’s contributions. For example: how well they perform the job Criterion Contamination: Performance capability is not reduced by external factors. The external factors breeding into the performance appraisal. Reliability (Consistency): standards are quantifiable, measurable, and stable. Guidelines for Appraisals - Performance ratings must be job-related - Employees must be given a written copy of their job standards in advance of appraisals - Managers who conduct the appraisal must be able to observe the behaviour they are rating - Supervisors must be trained to use the appraisal form correctly - Appraisals should be discussed openly with employees and counselling or corrective guidance offered Sources of Performance Appraisal Manager and/or Supervisor - Appraisal done by an employee’s manager and reviewed by a manager one level higher. Subordinate Appraisal - Appraisal of a superior by an employee, which is more appropriate for developmental than for administrative purposes. Self-Appraisal - Appraisal done by the employee being evaluated, generally on an appraisal form completed by the employee prior to the performance interview. Peer Appraisal - Appraisal by fellow employees, compiled into a single profile for use in an interview conducted by the employee’s manager - Why peer appraisals are not used more often: - 1. Peer ratings are simply a popularity - 2. Managers are reluctant to give up control over the appraisal process. - 3. Those receiving low ratings might retaliate against their peers. - 4. Peers rely on stereotypes in ratingsw 360-Degree Performance Appraisal System - Assure anonymity - Make respondents accountable - Prevent “gaming” of the system - Use statistical procedures - Identify and quantify biases Training Performance Appraisers Common rater-related errors - Error of c
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit