HUMA 1250 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Koreans In Japan, Kamau Brathwaite, Zong Massacre

50 views4 pages

Document Summary

Huma lecture oct 18th 2016-10-17 linguistic negotiations. English language imposed on colonized people who may practice oral tradition order. English gained authority/validity through writing down (pp quote2) English: queens english; imposed; form of power. Englishes: form of resistance englishes in the caribbean. Assumed that english is the norm, standard english. All other forms of englishes are dialects (assumed to be a derivation from a norm, lesser than standard) Different forms of englishes spoken in the caribbean are assumed to be a deviation from a norm, less valid way of speaking english. Form of patwas spoken in the caribbean are formed as a resistance to slavery. Rasta english: the ball (subject) was kicked(verb) by i (subject) Standard english: i(subject) kicked(v) the ball(o) (active voice), the ball (s)was kicked(v) by me(o) (passive voice) Resistance imbedded into different languages in the caribbean. Born in tobago, trinidad immigrated to canada. Earned a law degree, interested in engaging with legal discourse.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers