HUMA 1780 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Diegesis

27 views2 pages
Lecture 7: Radio theatre
Radio is sometimes called ā€œThe blind mediumā€. This means that we cannot see the
messages because they exist only as sound and silence. It is this blindness that gives
radio its speciļ¬c characteristics. Thus, the codes or Radio are purely auditory and are
made up of speech, musics, sounds, and silence.
Given the nature of sound with respect to our ability to process it mentally, the radio
must restrict itself to relatively simple form of representation.
Among the challenges are matter of context, when it comes to relaying a message.
In a video, if Iā€™m standing in a parking lot, I immediately establish the context from
which I am speaking. However in Radio, I would need to describe where I am situated
and what it is that I am doing there. Radio unlike all visual media also does not have
the beneļ¬t of the messages that surround the main item that we are seeing.
Suppose we show a character eating in a fancy restaurant as opposed to a diner
conveys representation of class, money, prestige, good taste, et cetera. To do so in
Radio would require a variety of audio descriptors which is narration, dialogue, or
some exterior diegetic sounds for example that establish the scene.
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

This means that we cannot see the messages because they exist only as sound and silence. It is this blindness that gives radio its speci c characteristics. Thus, the codes or radio are purely auditory and are made up of speech, musics, sounds, and silence. Given the nature of sound with respect to our ability to process it mentally, the radio must restrict itself to relatively simple form of representation. Among the challenges are matter of context, when it comes to relaying a message. In a video, if i"m standing in a parking lot, i immediately establish the context from which i am speaking. However in radio, i would need to describe where i am situated and what it is that i am doing there. Radio unlike all visual media also does not have the bene t of the messages that surround the main item that we are seeing.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers