- Error is always in the , reasoned. It’s always the reasoned that makes a mistake with math.
- Object of study is pure ( not based on the sense) objects of mathematics are given by God.
Objects of mathematics have fixed nature they cannot change.
- In mathematics it should be possible to attain certainty and truth
- What are the faulty of knowledge in mathematics
- 1. Intuition- understanding a connection between two items. Things that are related are called
relata. Intution is required to see the connection between relata.
- If you think of something having a shape you have to think of it somewhere.
- 2. Deduction- learning one thing from another
- 2+2=4, 3+1=4 - an example of
- Memory never produces certainty
- Memory is never indubitable
- In order to deduction to reach indubitably you have to go over it time and time again
- Mathematics is certain, indubitable. However this is not Descartes position in the mediation
- He now says mathematics is dubitable ( can be doubted)
- Decartes points out that God might be a deceiver
- Pg 220
- Reasons for doubting mathematics
- Descartes is looking at the issue of certainty as it is understood by the mathematicians
- He finds the conclusion physiologically irresistible
- Reason 1
- The person who gets the wrong answer finds the wrong as physiologically irresistible aswell.
- If the basic of mathematical knowledge is physiologically irresistibility then it is totally
- Reason 2
- In mediations 1 and 3 he still does not know if God exists
- Surmises that God is his creator and powerful
- God created the physiologically irresistibility, which will lead to error.
- Therefore Descartes believes he will never come to the truth.
- God is a deceiver
- Reason 3
- Non believer doesn’t believe God created him, God is all powerful etc
- What are the alte