-General upheaval of all his former opinions because he has in fact committed errors.
Mistaken -false things as real
-He is going to reassess his former believes
-All the believes he is examining are sensory believes
- Theory of perception in mediation 1
- it is typical called represented realism
-perceiver us human have perception. When you touch something you are actually not
touching it you have a perception of it.
-we have no direct contact with the external work
- How do we know that the perception corresponds with the object
- our perception corresponds with reality
-pg 46 1 paragraph
-senses are guided by certain principles, certain believes.
-if you are confident about what you saw there has to be a principle that guides you to
-Descartes is looking for the principles which tell us this perception is true or false
- how does he do this ?
- examining of these principles has to be done systematically
-Analogy to understand the principle
-if you travel from Toronto to buffalo there is going to be customs when you try to cross
the border. They operate using certain principles.
- there might be a case were an error was made ( let a car through that shohuldnt have
gone) error in fact
-second case is when there was no error but there could have been an error
-therefore the reject the principle and fire all the custom people and ask all the cars to
-hyperbolic – exaggeration
-Dialectical - hire new customs people but the principle that these people use now have
to be different from the first . Improves on the procedure
-if you could come up with a principle where no errors could be committed that principle
would have a perfect principle
-principle of evidence 1 (based on common sense )
-Descartes says the senses uses guide lines
- he say this leads to error and could lead to error
- all will be treated as hyperbolic doubt
- Descartes are not said by Descartes
- principle of evidence 2- sensory
-principle of evidence 3-
All the principle of evident get rejected
-what is the end point ?
- he starts to questions if there is even a world
-representing realisms assumes but cannot ever prove th