Humanities (1,633)
HUMA 1170 (32)

Absolutism and the Baroque (HUMA 1170)

4 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
HUMA 1170
Tanya Taylor- Cherry

Absolutism and the Baroque: -Baroque: a cultural era 1600-1789 - Absolutism: a political system 1660-1789 1789: French Revolution -System of power politics -Coincides with the formation of proto-nation-states in Europe characterized by the concentration of power in certain territories From Republican to Absolutism How much authority do you want your leaders to have? Empire/Power: Absolutism Feudal Society: -Complex social hierarchies: Great Chain of Being - The state in which you were born, you have to stay in it - Religious inheritance. Religion is used to legitimize decisions. - Based upon personal dependence. (i.e the fealty oath) - Social and economic relationships are based upon land and service - Inherent and “national” hierarchal inequality- the 3 orders/estates Renaissance Society - Complex social hierarchies. New ideas. Possible to make certain advancements. - Based upon inherited world view - Social and economic relationships and increasingly linked to the rise of the city, protocapitalism and the burgeoning merchant class. - Inherent and ‘natural’ Absolutist Society: - Centralization of political, social and religious power of court centres. Ladder (Model): I IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII Great Chain of Being (Model): I IIIII IIIII IIIII IIII IIIIIII IIIIIIII IIIIIII IIIIII IIIIIII IIIIIII IIIIIIIII IIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII Absolutism (Model): I (King) IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII - Based upon an inherited world view - Standing army, Bureaucracy, Taxation - Unintentional democratization: horizontal movement - Louis XIV (France) - Need opinion from nobles to go to war Modern Society: I (Elected official) IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII - Concept of a citizen-subject - Unified power structure under a nation state - Social and economic relations based upon money - Secular The Panopticon – Jeremy Bentham 1791 - 360 degrees – guard tower in the centre - promotes social discipline - absolute power makes use of certain mechanism
More Less

Related notes for HUMA 1170

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.