York University (33,737)
Humanities (1,633)
HUMA 1770 (83)

Lecture 21 - Middle Age

2 Pages
Unlock Document

HUMA 1770
William Gleberzon

Lecture 21 1 July 20th, 2011 Middle Ages  Silentivm = silence  Underlined = before 1400  Latin was the language of science that time  Arabic in latin form = langua franca (free language) that scientists began to use in the Eastern parts of the world, and some of Western parts of the world  Arabic scholars preserved the ancient Greek and Roman’s literature, not the Westerns  Trading in goods, and knowledge as well  Preserving the knowledge of west in their realms  Kamal = determine ship’s position in relation to a known star  Astrolable = determine heights of mountains/human structure, and longitude and latitude at sea  These devices are invented by Indians, translated by Arabics o Fundamental of exploration of the world o Eastern knowledge, transmitted to the west  China: magnetic compass o Always find magnetic north o 1. Magnetic north o 2. True north o They are 20 degrees apart  India transported the number 0, transmitted it to the West by the Arabs  Renaissance = revolutionary, rebirth of knowledge / ancient Greeks or Romans o Knowledge forgotten came back  Scientific Revolution = intro of scientific method to solve problems o By: Descartes – I think, therefore, I am o Thinking human beings, were homo sapiens (thinking men), distinguishes us from any other animals is because we think Copernicus  Knowledge is based on evidence, not opinion = beginning of scientific method  Had no instruments, based his research on math  Greatly influenced by Arabic scholars who studied
More Less

Related notes for HUMA 1770

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.