ITEC 3210 Summer 2013 Assignment 2
Wednesday July 31st by 6:00pm at Assignment Drop Box #16 (with my name on it, TEL
building, 3 floor)
• This is a team assignment, and a team can have up to 4 students
• Teams MUST work independently
• Answers MUST be typed (please include all team members' names and numbers)
though the diagram could be drawn manually.
• Peer evaluation 10% (please submit peer evaluation individually to the same drop
PART 1: Network Performance (54 Marks)
Three important network performance indicators are:
1) Availability: percentage of time a network is up and running;
2) Response time: time a network takes to respond a request;
3) Scalability: How well a network can adapt to increased or decreased demands.
Provide 3 different ways to improve each of the 3 performance indicators, and explain why.
You should not use the same way more than once for the 3 indicators.
PART 2: Network Design (23 Marks)
Classic Catalog Company runs a small but rapidly growing catalog sales business. It has
outsourced its Web operations to a local ISP for several years but as sales over the Web has
become a larger portion of its business; it has decided to move its Web site onto its own
internal computer systems. It has also decided to undertake a major upgrade of its own
internal networks. The company has two building: an office complex and a warehouse. The
2-story office complex building has 20 computers. The first floor has 10 computers devoted
to telephone sa