ITEC 4030 Lecture 1: Setting and Achieving Goal1

9 Pages

Department
Information Technology
Course Code
ITEC 4030
Professor
Younes Benslimane

This preview shows pages 1-2 and half of page 3. Sign up to view the full 9 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Running head: SETTING AND ACHIEVING GOALS Setting and Achieving Goals James Donald Morcom ORG300-11 – Applying Leadership Principals Colorado State University – Global Campus Michelle Olmstead August 02, 2015 SETTING AND ACHIEVING GOALS 2 Abstract In every organization, there are fundamental elements that are crucial for success. Establishing a mission, vision and goals is not sufficient. Top management must design clear strategic plans that can be understood by the entire organization. Strategic plans must be broad enough to encompass the direction of the whole organization. Strategic plans will provide the direction and focus needed by the organization’s business leaders and managers to create and execute tactical plans. Tactical plans will be the means to implement the strategic plan at each level of the organization. Although strategic planning precludes tactical planning both are equally important, and one without the other will lead to an organization that is unclear about who does what, when or how. Well defined strategic plans become the framework and foundation of tactical plans. Tactical plans need to be specific, have measurable goals that are attainable, realistic, and be able to accomplish operational plans in a timely manner. This approach will help allow successful completion of the deliverable that supports the organization in achieving its overall goals. Just as important as design clear and understandable strategic and tactical plans is how leadership communicates them. Effective communication to every level of the organization is crucial. If the CEO to the lowest level employee understands the organization’s strategic and tactical plans along with what the goals are, how to achieve the goals and their roles in that process, the organization can successfully achieve its objectives. SETTING AND ACHIEVING GOALS 3 Setting and Achieving Goals Putting the cart in front of the horse does not work, why? Simply because we need to the horse to pull the cart to our destination. We may laugh at such a notion because it is one of common sense. From a tactical point of view the only way a Middle Ages farmer would efficiently get the large amount of produce to the market on time to sell would be to have the horse pull the cart with the goal to sell all his produce. The movement of the farmer’s produce is one piece of the farmer’s larger strategic plan for the farmer have the means to pay or barter for next season’s produce seeds and sustain his livelihood. Whether or not the farmer realizes it, the farmer’s mission to maintain their livelihood has strategic and tactical plans that required successful execution. Although a seemingly simple example, strategic and tactical planning is just crucial from the small business owner to the multi-billion dollar corporation. “It only takes a little planning to make a big difference in your business.” (Jervey, 2015, p. 22). This essay explains the importance strategic and tactical planning has for an organization and when they should be used to achieve their goals and objectives successfully. This paper will also show how an organization’s ability to effectively communicate strategic plans becomes the framework for tactical planning. The lack of setting up clear strategic and tactical plans can lead to routine or habitual operations within the organization where tactics end up driving strategy – “just the opposite of what it should be.” (Teichert, 2014, p.28). A review of the relationship between strategic and tactical planning will help readers understand planning is a top to bottom effort. The plans must clearly define what the organization expects to achieve, how to execute the plans, as well as the function each part of the organization has to accomplish to achieve organizational goals. Strategic Planning – It begins here. SETTING AND ACHIEVING GOALS 4 In business, planning is a fundamental element needed to implement any organization’s mission, vision, and goals. The strategic plan is a broad plan for the entire organization that also clearly defines to stakeholders the direction of the business is headed the future. “Planning is a process by which you formulate a particular intent, identify one or more associated goals, and then decide on the actions you will take to realize your intent and achieve your goals.” (Simerson, 2011, p. 1). Strategic plans define objectives the scope the organization will achieve. In other words, the strategic plan shows where the organization is going and how it will get there Top management is responsible for designing, implementing, and reviewing strategic plans. Although and organization will have one strategic plan associated directly with the organization’s mission, vision, and goals, they will also use strategic plans in subdivisions such as Research & Development (R&D). Project Managers will also use strategic plans during the conceptual and planning stages of projects. These strategic plans will directly support the organizational strategic plan, objectives, and goals. (Meredith & Mantel, 2012). Both short-term and long-term strategic plans become the framework for business leaders and managers to establish tactical plans for their particular segments of the organization. (Educational Portal, 2014). Without strong strategic plans, tactical plans will be weak which can lead to an organization that does not fully understand what objectives are needed to achieve goals. Strategic plans that are not understood allow for misapplied resources. (Simerson, 2011). Tactical plans that are not based on a solid strategic plan foundation risk being more defined by how routine tasks are accomplished. When task operations determine how tactical plans are designed it is time to reevaluate how your strategic plan needs to be improved. (Teichert, 2014). Tactical Plans – Time to get the job done. SETTING AND ACHIEVING GOALS 5 The effectiveness of tactical plans will be based on how well defined and how well communicated the strategic plan is across the organization. Unlike the strategic plans that are designed to impact the entire organization, tactical plans are concerned with how lower-level segments of an organization will achieve the goals of the strategic plan (Simerson, 201
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 and half of page 3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit