Fall 2017

Department
Kinesiology & Health Science
Course Code
KINE 2049
Professor
Merv Mosher
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
KINE 2049 F
October 30th
Lecture 11, Measurement in Research
We have dierent ways of measuring, depending on the type of study that you are
doing "
Observation "
direct: the subject knows the researcher is there, and that they are being observed.
In some cases they don’t care, but in other cases like if they’re kids, they do care "
indirect: you are videotaped, or through something like a one way mirror "
participant: the researcher is part of the situation. So the professor can be lecturing,
and making observations at the same time "
Physical measurements "
like weight or height, which can be measured directly "
Cognitive measurements "
are what you know. This is done through things like tests. "
Aective measurements "
measuring your feelings "
dicult to measure, and its usually done through self reporting, by people asking
you how you feel "
Questioning techniques "
Asking people what they think "
structured questionnaires: please indicate what you did this weekend "
unstructured questionnaire: what are you thinking about something "
Delphi technique: "
A technique for arriving at consensus."
Assume you have the things that are great about the KINE program, and a list of the
things that aren’t. What you do is take the lists and rank your top 5 and bottom 5. You
then add up how many people voted for each, then select the ones that people voted
for the most "
Validity "
Does the study measure what it is supposed to measure, and how confident are you
in the inferences you make from the results that you have drawn "
Internal validity "
how correct are you in inferring whatever you are going to infer from the data you
collected. In other words, how good is your experiment "
Face/logical validity: the test appears correct "

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
KINE 2049 F October 30th Lecture 11, Measurement in Research We have dierent ways of measuring, depending on the type of study that you are doing Observation direct: the subject knows the researcher is there, and that they are being observed. In some cases they dont care, but in other cases like if theyre kids, they do care indirect: you are videotaped, or through something like a one way mirror participant: the researcher is part of the situation. So the professor can be lecturing, and making observations at the same time Physical measurements like weight or height, which can be measured directly Cognitive measurements are what you know. This is done through things like tests. Aective measurements measuring your feelings dicult to measure, and its usually done through self reporting, by people asking you how you feel Questioning techniques Asking people what they think structured questionnaires: please indicate what you did this weekend unstructured questionnaire: what are you thinking about something Delphi technique: A technique for arriving at consensus. Assume you have the things that are great about the KINE program, and a list of the things that arent. What you do is take the lists and rank your top 5 and bottom 5. You then add up how many people voted for each, then select the ones that people voted for the most Validity Does the study measure what it is supposed to measure, and how condent are you in the inferences you make from the results that you have drawn Internal validity how correct are you in inferring whatever you are going to infer from the data you collected. In other words, how good is your experiment Face/logical validity: the test appears correct
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit