Premium

3 Pages

Department
Kinesiology & Health Science
Course Code
KINE 2049
Professor
Merv Mosher

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
KINE 2049 F October 16th Lecture 8, Getting a sample Having a bigger sample is usually better for getting more accurate data, but what really matters is that it is representative of your population Samples should be more than 30 people, less than 50% of the population, and be representative. If you can do 50% of the population, you might as well do all the population Random selection is the best way to select for a representative population, and it has two factors that must be followed every person or subject that youre dealing with has an equal chance of being selected the selection of one does not bias the chance of the others in being selected Selection types simple random selection: putting everyones name in a hat. The problem with this is that you need to be careful of the size of the paper you use. It has to be the same size for everyone, regardless of the length of their name With replacement: every time you select a name, you put it back in the hat Without replacement: every time you select a name, you put it aside, not in the hat, which makes the odds not the same for each person Stratied random selection: You divide the population into dierent subgroups based on characteristics or traits, like gender or religion. Say you have a group of 70% women and 30% men. To sample this, you can take 7 women and 3 men, which is still the same ratio of the population Systematic sampling: you use a system, like taking every 10th person from a group Cluster sampling: Assume you want to sample teachers in the Toronto area, and theres a 1000 schools. You do cluster sampling, which is taking the names of all the schools in a hat, and randomly selecting 10 of them. You then survey every teacher in the 10 schools that you sampled out of the 1000 Multistage sampling: assume each school has 100 teachers, so thats a 1000 interviews. You can break it down again by taking 10 teachers in each school, and sampling them. So you have to do 100 interviews in total Non probability sampling examples: deliberate sampling: like the Nurses health study where they only sampled nurses. You select subjects with specic characteristics that you are studying Convenience sampling: You pick subjects that are easy for you to get into contact with
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit