Violence and Sport & Pain 01/29/2014
• Are we violent by nature?
• How many of you like violence in sport?
• Is violence inevitable?
• Does sport help to be less/more violent?
• Sport and war
• hockey = some coaches comparing hockey to gang activity
• football = 92% OF NFL PLAYERS WILL BE HURTA
• super bowl and the army
• violent behaviour develops as a result of complex interactions between neurobiological and
environmental factors (nurture)
• nature can be tamed by nurture
Validation of Violent Behaviour
• via sports athletes get validated for their aggressive behaviour
• pursuit of dominance lies at heart of all athletic contests 01/29/2014
no difference between dog fighting and football
Gameness the willingness to go on
• Injuries are normalized, and expected to play through injury
• Are pain and injury necessary to sport
• u cant do that with dog fighting
• pain and injury are necessary for the sport
• pain and injury are also important in sport
• concussions and sub concussions – not immediate impacts, but research shows they are the deadly
• culture and society put too much value in hegemonic masculinity
• unspeakable pain, welcomed pain pain is good , hidden pain – threat to masculinity, locked pain –
trapped by pain, naming pain