KINE 2031 (127)
Neil Smith (92)

9 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
Kinesiology & Health Science
KINE 2031
Neil Smith

May 7th, 2012 EPITHELIA Tissues: groups of similar cells and extracellular products that carry out a common function, such as providing protection or facilitating body movement. Tissues are formed from the three primary germ layers (ectoderm, mesoderm, and endoderm). The 4 tissue types vary in structure, function of their specialized cells and the presence of the ECM. Histology: the study of tissues and their relationships within organs. THE 4 primary TYPES OF TISSUES ARE:  Epithelial  Connective  Muscle  Nervous EPITHELIAL TISSUE Structure of Epithelial Tissue Basement Membrane: A thin extracellular layer that physically separates the epithelial tissue from the underlying connective tissue. Made of both the Basal Lamina and Reticular Lamina.  acts as a regulator for movement of molecules to the deeper connective tissue  acts to anchor epithelium to the underlying connective tissue Functions: Epithelia may have several functions, although no single epithelium performs all of them. These functions include: Physical Protection/Barrier: Epithelial tissues protect both exposed and internal surfaces from dehydration, physical, mechanical or chemical injury. i.e. skin - in severe burns, dehydration is a primary concern Selective permeability: All epithelial cells act as “gatekeepers,” in that they regulate the movement of materials into and out of certain regions of the body. All substances that enter or leave the body must pass through an epithelium. Sometimes an epithelium exhibits a range of permeability; that is, it may be relatively impermeable to some substances, while at the same time promoting and assisting the passage of other molecules by absorption or secretion. The structure and characteristics of an epithelium may change as a result of applied pressure or stress. i.e. walking around without shoes may increase the thickness of calluses on the bottom of the feet, which could alter or reduce the movement of materials across the epithelium. Absorption: Regulates the passage of substances into the body. i.e. absorption occurs in the organs such as the small intestines, which is lined with epithelial tissue. i.
More Less

Related notes for KINE 2031

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.