KINE 3350 (112)

Jan_3_5__Kine 3350.docx

6 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
Kinesiology & Health Science
KINE 3350
Kathy Broderick

September 13th Gerontology:  Branch of knowledge dealing with aging  Examines how aging affects the individual and impact on society o Baby boomers are the largest cohort and they are now in there 50’s and 60’s so they are going to start being old o Canada has one of the largest baby boomer population o In 1980’s and 90’s aging was thought of a social problem  Science would have to keep these people healthy and productive and it was felt that 30% of the population would be looking after 70% (so it was looked upon negatively)  Around 2000 we have had positive outlook towards aging (i.e. active or successful aging-people are more aware of health)  So we have gone from old aging to healthy aging o It’s a growing field and will continue to be so  Geron and ontus – meaning old man Geriatrics:  Branch of medicine dealing with the diseases of aging o All the diseases that old people can get and we know they will and can develop it o Studies have shown that people or misread and mistreated o Problem: not that many doctors that have studies medicine in terms of old people o Only 216 geriatric doctors and we need over 500 o Why are they in such need?  Students don’t want to go into the field – not as interesting  They don’t make as much money as other doctors  Old people are complicated and take time to see – i.e. they cant bill OHIP as quickly Stereotype:  Aone sided exaggerate view and prejudice view of a group of people o We have negative stereotypes with regard to old people o Old people are depressed, stubborn, frail, forgetful are all stereotypes o Some stereotypes are that they are invisible – they loose their social role o Another stereotype is that old people don’t like young people but only people their own age o Old people are afraid of pain – probably not, they have experience with pain i.e. war, or childbirth o Afraid of being dependent or loosing their independence o Fear of death – no most don’t fear it o They might fear Oscar the cat  Oscar the cat works in a Geriatric hospital in US and makes his rounds just as the doctors do  If he sniffs and curls up in someone’s bed in the Geriatric hospital, they found that, that person would die within the hour  He was better at predicting death than the hospital staff o Mean girls stereotype (guys are not like that)  Was tested at Baycrest to see if this stereotype existed in later years  Found that it still exists even in the old age  Found that if a woman o Positive stereotype = old people are wise Ageism:  Term coined by Butler in 1968 refers to the negative images of and attitudes toward an individual simply because they are old o Butler was a Gerontologist in the US and help change negative attitudes to positive ones in terms of old age o Tried to get rid of the notion that aging is a disease o Baby boomers wont accept ageism o Ageism is like racism and sexism Age Grading:  Responsibilities and expectations as related to chronological age o As people get to the top of their career (45-55), everybody looks up to them and as they got old they loose that sort of prestige from other peoples view point o Much harder for old people to get a job o We take responsibilities away from people because we decide they cannot do that job (i.e. a daughter not letting her mother take care of her granddaughter because she’s too old) o If you continue to tell someone you cant do something they will begin to believe it Age Norms:  Serve as guidelines for acceptable behavior in specific social situations o In clothing we see these age norms  I.e. a 75 old woman with a mini skirt Cohort:  Refers to all those people born during some specific period or passing through age related changes at approximately the same time in history (or historical time) o Seniors have experience WWII, technology changes, the depression, many have emigrated so they all have had similar experiences o How do different cohorts interact with each other?  Ayoung kid challenged his grandfather Values:  Are internalized criteria by which members of a society select and judge their own and others goals and behavior o Different age groups have different values in terms of sex, marriage, spending money o Values certainly change as you age o The two most important things to old people are family and health o Elderly will impose their values on young people and they do exaggerate i.e. In my day.. Ethnicity:  An ethnic group consists of people who see themselves as similar or alike by virtue of their common ancestry, whether genuine or not and are regarded as so by others o Very important to study ethnicity and aging in Canada because we are a very multi-cultural country o How does this affect our culture? Culture:  Develops when a group shares a way of life at the same time and place o Do the elderly of the different ethnic groups in Canada embrace the Canadian culture or do they maintain their own culture? o In the area where we have to study ethnicity and aging is:  Conflict between younger generation and elderly (
More Less

Related notes for KINE 3350

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.