Kinesiology & Health Science
Course
KINE 4010
Professor
David Hood
Semester
Fall

Description
YORK UNIVERSITY Kinesiology and Health Science Faculty of Health EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGY (KINE 4010 3.0) Fall 2012 INSTRUCTOR: Dr. David A. Hood, Course Director Rm 302 Farquharson, ext. 66640 E-mail: [email protected] (I do not use Moodle for correspondence) Office hours: MW 4:00-5:00 HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TEXTBOOK: th Powers, S.K. and E.T. Howley, Exercise Physiology (8 ed.) Boston: McGraw-Hill, 2012. COURSE MANUAL and LAB MANUAL:On sale in the bookstore. LECTURES: Section A: Section B: Curtis Lecture Hall I Curtis Lecture Hall I MWF: 10:30-11:20 MWF: 11:30-12:20 LABORATORIES: For section A:labs are held in Lumbers Room 318A (Laboratory A); For section B: labs are held in Lumbers Room 318 (Laboratory B). LAB #1 Electromyography during static and dynamic exercise LAB #2 Determination of maximal oxygen uptake by direct and indirect methods LAB #3 Substrate metabolism and energyexpenditure during exercise LAB #4 Cardiovascular changes during exercise LAB #5 Metabolic changes associated with exercise STUDENT EVALUATION: Labs: 10% [up to 2% per lab, 5 labs in total] Exam I: 25% [Wednesday Oct 3, covers lectures up to Sept 2], inclusive Exam II: 25% [Wednesday Nov. 7, covers lectures from Oct 1-29] inclusive Exam III: 40%[CUMULATIVE: covers labs #1-5 and lectures from Nov. 5 to Dec. 3 (30%, 3/4 of exam) + all previous lecture material covered in Exams 1 and 2 (10%, 1/4 of exam) TOTAL: 100% i IMPORTANT NOTES: 1) The value of missed exams will be added to the final exam. No explanatory notes are necessary in the case of a missed exam, except for the final exam. Only legitimate reasons for a make -up final exam will be considered. A poor grade on the final exam does not count as a reason to write a make-up final exam. 2) All exams will consist of multiple choice and true/false questions. 3) Any required lab switching must be done in week s 1 and 2 (Sept. 5-14). It is suggested that students who wish to switch labs post a message on Moodle’s Lab Forum to find someone who also wishes to switch. If agreement is reached, both students must contact Lab Coordinator Marco Colavecchia via e -mail ([email protected]) to officially make the lab switch. Beginning week 3 (start of Lab #1), attendance will be taken in all laboratories. If you attend a lab in which you are not enrolled, you will be asked to leave. Please attend only the lab in which you are enrolled. If you anticipate having to miss a lab , special written permission can be obtained from Marco Colavecchia to attend an alte rnate lab session on a one-time only basis. 4) The lab grade of 10% is allocated for A) being an active participant, and B) attending each of the 5 required labs. If you miss a lab, you get 0/2 for that lab. If you are a passive observer and offer only minor help, but attend the entire lab (start to finish, attendance is taken at both times), you get a grade o1 out of 2. If you are a passive observer, and are only present for half of the lab, you only get 0.5/2. If y ou volunteer to be a subject for the lab, you automatically get 2/2 for the lab. Being a subject means wearing the appropriate attire, and being ready to participate at the start of the experiment. Four subject volunteers for each lab (one subject per group) will be determined in the prior lab session. If you are not a subject, the TA can still assign you a grade of 1.5/2 or 2/2 if you are actively involved in other activities (eg. data collection, performing calculations, operating equipment etc...) which make the lab come to a successful and timely completion. OVERVIEW of the COURSE This is a Physiology course which specifically deals with how acute and chronic exercise affect the major systems of the body (energy metabolism, cardiovascular, respiratory, muscular). Th e course relies heavily on its prerequisites (Human Physiology I (2011) and II (3012)). It is assumed that you have a familiarity with basic cell and organ physiology. LEARNING EXPECTATIONS: Upon the successful completion of this course, students will be able to:  Understand the differences between acute exercise effects, and chronic exercise adaptations;  Converse in educated manner about muscle, muscle metabolism, the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, and how they function during exercise;  Demonstrate knowledge of physiological concepts related to exe
More Less

Related notes for KINE 4010

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit