Linguistics
Course
LING 1000
Professor
Tom Wilson
Semester
Summer

Description
LECTURE 2: CLASSIFYING WORDS • Non-lexical words are used for grammatical function, and are not normally used just on their own • What determines word category membership: they are based on shared meaning properties / function i.e. Noun - person, place or thing • Some definitions of the categories overlap i.e sleep, dead and happiness refer to a state however they are all in different categories - verb, adjective and noun respec- tively • Most words can belong to more than one word category • I.e. He read a book - noun OR You can book your flight here - verb • Structural properties: what defines a word to a classification • Morphological: word structure properties • Syntactic: sentence structure properties • Word category membership does not mean that you have to have all the characteris- tics of that category, but you should have more in the wanted category than another one Adjective • Adjective comparative vs superlative: Absolute Comparative Superlative Tall Taller Tallest Warm Warmer Warmest Good Better best • Not all verbs can occur comparative or superlative i.e. Beautiful Determiners • Determiners only occur at the beginning of a NOUN PHRASE and not with other de- terminers Nouns • Empty promises: noun bc is plural; empty can be comparative (emptier) and can also have a degree word (very empty promises) Pronoun • Substitute a noun phrase: •[The manager] left the building: [ ] = the noun phrase •He (pronoun) left the building Pronouns • I liked that book / this book / those books / these books: determiners • I like this / that / those / these: pronouns (can occur on their own) • Possessive determine
More Less

Related notes for LING 1000

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit