Lecture 7

Lecture Seven: Fallacies Part I

4 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
Modes Of Reasoning
MODR 1730
Philip Mac Ewen

Lecture Seven: Fallacies November 2, 2011 What is a Fallacy? Definition - A problem which arises in certain arguments, which makes a deductive argument invalid and an inductive argument weak. Fallacies must meet the two following conditions - The argument must follow a pattern of reasoning - There must be fundamentally wrong with that pattern of reasoning Steps to Correcting Fallacies 1. Map the argument 2. Identify a fallacy in the argument (by finding the faults with the given pattern of argumentation that it follows) 3. Justify the selection of the fallacy (show how the pattern violates one or more of the constitutional rules or argumentation, or show that this pattern doesn't necessarily prove the truth of the conclusion) 4. Identify the premise/premises that is/are a fallacy and logically deduce what the premise should state to justify the conclusion. Fallacy Families Family of Relevance - the premise or premises are not relevant to it or their conclusions. Modes of Reasoning Necessity - “must” “has to” Impossibility - “cannot” Actuality - “is” “are” Possibility - “may” “might” “could” Normatively - “ought” “should” Fallacy One: Appeal to Force or Threats Force/Threats - coercion of a physical, psychological (such as persuasion) or verbal nature to influence a person into accepting your conclusion. The threat or negative incentive is in place of where a reason, or premise, should be in the argument. There is no actual proof of reasoning provided for the conclusion, just a threat of some sort. - The argument tries to prove its conclusion by issuing a threat - Other than the threat, there is no actual justification for the conclusion Example “I don’t think it would be wise to run a story about my son’s driving escapades. After all, my firm does donate thousands of dollars of advertising business with your paper” Conclusion: It would not be wise to run the story about my son’s driving escapades. Premise: My firm donates thousands of dollars of advertising business with your paper - This premise is a threat - The threat is that should the story be run, the arguer will stop giving the paper advertising business This is a fallacious argument because it is committing the fallacy of appealing to a force or a threat. There is no relevant reason given as to why the story should not be run. Fallacy Two: Appeal to Emotion Definition - This argument does not provide reasons for its conclusion, but appeals specifically to emotions, especially those of pity or fear. Pity - an emotion either for oneself or others such that you or they are in an unfortunate position for you or they are not responsible. Fear - an emotion felt for oneself or for others such that you or they are in a situation where your or their well being is endangered, and you or they may not be able to remove the danger. Example; “I know that I am six months behind on my rent. It is because I just lost my job, and my wife has just left me. You have to let me stay until I get back onto my feet” Conclusion - “You have to let me stay until I get back onto my feet” Premises to prove this conclusion - “I just lost my job” - “My wife just let me” These premises are appealing to the emotions of pity to prove the conclusion, however they logically do not prove the conclusion. Examples of premises that would prove the point without appealing to emotions - “I will repay you with interest what I owe you until I am able to pay” - “I will provide you with collateral should you let me stay” - “I have done much unpaid work f
More Less

Related notes for MODR 1730

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.