Modes Of Reasoning
Course
MODR 1730
Professor
Hilary Davis
Semester
Fall

Description
False Analogy 12-10-02 4:05 PM False Analogy & Equivocation Exercises 1) I am the father of two daughters. When I hear this argument that we can’t protect freedom in Europe, in Asia, or in our own hemisphere and still meet our domestic problems, I think it is a phony argument. It is just like saying that I can’t take care of Luci because I have Lynda Bird. We have to take care of both of them and we have to meet them head on. (Lyndon Johnson). 2) Student government is a mistake from the beginning. Look what happens in homes where parents let the children run things their own way! 3) If architects want to strengthen a decrepit arch, they increase the load that is laid upon it, for thereby the parts are joined more firmly together. So, if therapists wish to foster their patient’s mental health, they should not be afraid to increase the load through a reorientation toward the meaning of one’s life. (Viktor E. Frankl, Man’s Search for Meaning) 4) We are told that prostitution is a growing national problem, but that isn’t the half of it! At least half of the men and women in this country today are prostitutes. They sell their bodies or their minds in jobs that are personally meaningless and socially destructive. 5) A parricide is in the same relation to his father as a young oak to the parent tree, which, springing up from an acorn dropped by the parent, grows up and overturns it
More Less

Related notes for MODR 1730

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit