MODR 1770 6.0 G – Lecture 2: Bias & Conflict
Bias: Inclination or prejudice for or against something.
Recall, “systems of believe”.
Illegitimate bias can influence how we support our claims and our ability to listen to
Features of illegitimate bias:
- Inability to recognize ones own bias.
- Inability to articulate other’s arguments
- Typically occurs when dealing with matters of high importance.
Signs of Illegitimate bias include….
- Vested Interests: Something to gain – Not because of strong rationale.
- Conflict of Interest: He or she has the ability to make a decision or an argument
that unfairly provides with advantages. Someone who has a COI should declare it,
as his/her ability to act impartially may be compromised.
- Slanting by Omission: Arguer fails to give important info of his/her argument
because it weakens the view or