Modes Of Reasoning
Course
MODR 1770
Professor
Jai Chetram
Semester
Fall

Description
MODR 1770B Note 8 - Concerned with semantic meaning of concepts - In conceptual analysis, you’re dealing with interpretive meanings, non- empirical claims, and in a contextual manner. - Conceptual claims are problematic because we need to first find the characteristics of the person, and then see if there are enough characteristics to compare the two concepts. - Wittgenstein: concepts are reduced to social factors, in the sense that they’re meanings given in society: how we use the language socially. - We don’t want to use dictionaries because concepts keep evolving, and therefore, in order to capture the variation of meanings, we have to generate cases and place them in cases to see how we can extract the conceptual meanings. - Concepts are not static things (unless it’s democracy) o I.e. democracy originated with Greece, however now it’s completely different - Meaning is used, and therefore is contextual. - In conceptual analysis, we’re not concerned with facts or questions, we’re concerned specifically - What is a concept? o Comes from the Latin word “Concipere” and it means a mental thought or image.  I.e. it’s done to form and apprehend something in your mind. o Thought, idea or notion that can be expressed in one word or a compound word - Analysis: o Comes from the Latin word “Analyein” and it’s done to break down - What is conceptual analysis: o A tool/method we use to clarify and probe the meaning and usage of concepts contextually  We do so to generate cases to see what they show us. - Step 1: Model (paradigm) Case: What is “x”?
More Less

Related notes for MODR 1770

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit