Music
Course
MUSI 1520
Professor
Ray Williams
Semester
Fall

Description
LECTURE NOTES – FA/MUSI 1520: SOUL, JAZZ, FUNK, R&B Lecture 1 – September 18 , 2013 BLUES  Paramount Records never became a major record label – had a good collection  Blues = repetitive structure  Delta Blues comes from Delta, Mississippi (usually one person + one guitar)  One Dime Blues = simple beat, 3 lines repeated  John & Alan Lamar are really important BLIND LEMON JEFFERSON (1887 – 1929)  Big in lyrics  Inspiration = he was on record  Took a wrong turn, died in Chicago (most artists meet + have a sad ending)  50 different records with Paramount  sang One Dime Blues  At this time, musicians would be happy with an audience of 1  All that mattered was that 1 person would hear their song One Dime Blues (1927) I'm broke and I aint got a dime, I'm broke and I aint got a dime, I'm broke and aint got a dime, Everybody gets in hard luck Sometime. You want your friend to be bad like Jesse James? You want your friend to be bad like Jesse James? You want your friend to be bad like Jesse James? Just give'm a six shooter and Highway some passenger train.  To be popular you need a record  Emancipation of slavery in the South + Jim Crow Laws (discriminatory laws between coloured and white people in the US)  Cheap way out of the South was to perform  Artists were driven to go to Chicago, New Orleans CHARLEY PATTON (1891 – 1934)  Didn‟t want to pick cotton  Born in April 1891 to a white owner, mother was a black slave  Lived a life of sex, drugs, rock & roll  Moved among trains to play music  Alcoholic, had a lot of women  Played at juke joints – an illegal place, during the day = grocery store  Password required to get into the juke joint – they would drink moonshine (illegal)  Performed at juke joints for a living, hopped on trains  Crazy performer, played guitar on neck, leg w/ teeth, and jump around Revenue Man Blues (1934) Lord, the revenue men is ridin', boy, you'd better look out (Aw, sure, if it ain't Purvis) Lord, the revenue men is ridin', boy, you'd better look out (Boy, if he hollers at you, you don't stop, boy) If he hollers at you, don't stop, you will likely be knocked out Well, I don't allow her salt water, well, she always wants a drink (Got to have a drink) I don't allow her salt water, she always wants a drink (Wanna drink? See you with a bottle, though) If they see you with a bottle, they will almost break your neck Oh, take me home through, Lord, that shy nest door (Aw, sure) I said take me home through that shy nest door (She don't need no telephone to get there, aw, sure) She don't need no telephone, daddy will take you in his car Oh, come on mama, let us go to the edge of town (Aw, sure) Come on, mama, let us go to the edge of town (Baby, I know where Charley's got his other nest built at) I know where there's another bird nest built down on the ground Oh, I wake up every mornin' now with the jinx all around my bed (Aw, sure) I wakes up every mornin' with the jinx all around my bed (You know I have them jinx here now) I have been a good provider, but I believe I've been misled  Could mean anything, drunk on train + started the song  Screaming conscious, a conversation  Usually blues songs were about what‟s happening to them at that moment  Successful songs/hits are commercialized, made for mass consumption  Careers died in 1929 because of the depression SON HOUSE (1902 – 1988)  Eddie James „Son‟ House  Apparently he „shot a person‟, sung his way out prison  Most powerful  King of Delta Blues Death Letter (1965) I got a letter this mornin, how do you reckon it read? It said, "Hurry, hurry, yeah, your love is dead." I got a letter this mornin, I say how do you reckon it read? You know, it said, "Hurry, hurry, how come the gal you love is dead?" So, I grabbed up my suitcase, and took off down the road. When I got there she was layin on a coolin board. I grabbed up my suitcase, and I said and I took off down the road. I said, but when I got there she was already layin on a coolin board. Well, I walked up right close, looked down in her face. Said, the good ole gal got to lay here til the Judgement Day. I walked up right close, and I said I looked down in her face. I said the good ole gal, she got to lay here til the Judgement Day. Looked like there was 10,000 people standin round the buryin ground. I didn't know I loved her til they laid her down. Looked like 10,000 were standin round the buryin ground. You know I didn't know I loved her til they damn laid her down. Lord, have mercy on my wicked soul. I wouldn't mistreat you baby, for my weight in gold. I said, Lord, have mercy on my wicked soul. You know I wouldn't mistreat nobody, baby, not for my weight in gold. Well, I folded up my arms and I slowly walked away. I said, "Farewell honey, I'll see you on Judgement Day." Ah, yeah, oh, yes, I slowly walked away. I said, "Farewell, farewell, I'll see you on the Judgement Day." You know I went in my room, I bowed down to pray. The blues came along and drove my spirit away. I went in my room, I said I bowed down to pray. I said the blues came along and drove my spirit away. You know I didn't feel so bad, til the good ole sun went down. I didn't have a soul to throw my arms around.-acapo BLIND BAKE (1890 – 1933)  Busker  Picking style Police Dog Blues (1929) All my life I've been a travelin' man All my life I've been a travelin' man Stayin' alone and doin' the best I can I shipped my trunk down to Tennessee I shipped my trunk down to Tennessee Hard to tell about a man like me I met a gal, I couldn't get her off my mind I met a gal, I couldn't get her off my mind She passed me up, said she didn't like my kind I'm scared to bother around her house at night I'm scared to bother around her house at night She got a police dog cravin' for a fight His name is Rambler, when he gets a chance His name is Rambler, when he gets a chance He leaves his mark on everybody's pants Guess I'll travel, I guess I'll let her be Guess I'll travel, I guess I'll let her be Before she sicks her police dog on me  Can‟t pick cotton, basket weave, so he busks  Goes to Chicago; gets record ROBERT JOHNSON (1911 – 1938)  Apparently buried in two places  Lots of myth  Recorded about 30 songs  Styles has never been copied  Took blues in 1935 to where it is today  He lost his first child and disappeared for a year  Tried to be Charley Patton, but he wasn‟t that good  He was chased off stage because he was that bad  Rumour is that he met the Devil at a crossroads  10 ft tall in height  The man gave him the greatest guitar if he sold his soul  Became paranoid, he would turn his back so no one would know how he played  He even turned and would face the corner while recording in a studio.  Songs were about travelling, loneliness, women and moody Terraplane Blues And I feel so lonesome You hear me when I moan When I feel so lonesome You hear me when I moan Who been drivin' my Terraplane For you since I been gone? I'd said, "I'll flash your lights, mama Your horn won't even blow" Somebody's been runnin' My batteries down on this machine I even flash my lights, mama This horn won't even blow Got a short in this connection Hoo well, babe, it's way down below I'm goin' heist your hood, mama I'm bound to check your oil I'm goin' heist your hood, mama I'm bound to check your oil I got a woman that I'm lovin' Way down in Arkansas Now, you know the coils ain't even buzzin' Little generator won't get the spark Motor's in a bad condition You gotta have these batteries charged But I'm cryin', please, please don't do me wrong Who been drivin' my Terraplane Now for you since I been gone Mr. Highway Man, please don't block the road Please, please don't block the road 'Cause she's reachin' a cold one hundred And I'm booked and I got to go Yoo, you hear me weep and moan Who been drivin' my Terraplane Now for you since I been gone I'm gon' get down in this connection Keep on tanglin' with your wires I'm gon' get down in this connection Oh well, keep on tanglin' with these wires And when I mash down on your little starter Then your spark plug will give me fire  Changed song about 3 times, depended on how he felt Sweet Home Chicago (1937) Oh baby don't you want to go Oh baby don't you want to go Back to the land of california to my sweet home chicago Oh baby don't you want to go Oh baby don't you want to go Back to the land of california to my sweet home chicago Now one and one is two two and two is four I'm heavy loaded baby I'm booked I gotta go Cryin baby honey don't you want to go back to the land of california to my sweet home chicago Now two and two is four four and two is six You gonna keep monkeyin round here friend-boy you gonna get your business all in a trick But I'm cryin baby honey don't you wanna go Back to the land of California to my sweet home chicago Now six and two is eight eight and two is ten Friend-boy she trick you one time she sure gonna do it again But I'm cryin hey hey baby don't you want to go back to the land of california to my sweet home chicago I'm goin to california from there to Des Moines Iowa Somebody will tell me that you need my help someday cryin hey hey baby don't you want to go back to the land of california to my sweet home chicago  Memorable  Most important  Got a record at _______  At a juke joint in Three Folks, Mississippi  The owners‟s wife was one of his girlfriend‟s & poisoned him with whiskey  Died at the train tracks, buried at crossroads, Mississippi  Had many women MA RAINEY (1886 – 1939)  Had her own organization, an entertainment tent show, the P9 (husband) Rainey group  She was hard to deal with  Not afraid to fight, she was the boss  Rode on several busses  Signed to Paramount (with a little more production)  Had trouble with the law  Liked to drink, lived a fast life, affairs and crazy parties at hotels Booze and Blues (1924) Went to bed last night, and boy I was in my sleep, sleep I went to bed last night, and I was in my sleep Woke up this mornin', the police was shakin' me I went to the jailhouse, drunk and blues as I could be (2x) But that cruel old judge sent my man away from me They carried me to the courthouse, Lordy, how I was cryin' (2x) They jailed me sixty days in jail, and money couldn't pay my fine Sixty days ain't long if you can spend them as you choose (2x) But this seems like jail than a cell where there ain't no booze My life is all a misery when I cannot get my booze (2x) I spend every dime on liquor, got to have the booze to go with these blues.  Records were the most successful, almost in the big time  Died with money  Heart attack in the mid 30‟s – drove body too much  Influenced Billie Holiday BESSIE SMITH (1895 – 1937)  Signed to Colombia records  Big company; they have assets everywhere (US, UK, England, Australia)  First black movie stairs, thousands of dollars  She came out of the Ma Rainey group, she couldn‟t be contained  $2000/week – she spent this money  Lived fast, had several cars & chauffeurs, entourage  Rich and famous black female Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out  Formed own organization  Competed with white artists  In Chicago, rent 2 – 3 floors at a decadent hotel, music, tons of food, orgies for hours, days  Had enough money for bail, would go to another hotel  Lost contract in 1931, but she was so popular that she didn‟t need a contract, people would pay her  Car accident in Clarkesdale, Mississippi, her arms was caught under the car  drove her to a white hospital (by accident) and died on route to the black hospital  Extended into other music like jazz  Influenced Billie Holiday and wanted to perform with Louis Armstrong  Blues changed  Bass, drums, harmonica (Chicaco, Blues, Modern day) SONNY BOY WLLIAMSON (1912 – 1965)  Harmonica blues Keep It To Yourself Baby, do me a favor, keep our business to yourself. Please, darling, do me a favor, keep our business to yourself. I don't want you to tell nobody in your family, And don't mention it to nobody else. Don't tell your mother, Don't tell your father, Don't tell your sister, Don't mention it to your brother, Please, darling, keep our business to yourself. Don't you tell nobody, And don't mention it to nobody else. You have a husband, I have a wife, If you start to talking, That's gonna mess up our life, Please, please baby, keep our business to yourself. Don't you tell nobody, And don't mention it to nobody else. Goodbye darling.  Refined in Chicago, same cord MUDDY WATERS  Chicaco Blues  Used electric guitar (needs an amp)  Acoustic strings  Lived in Chicago, has electricity  From Delta (Mississippi, Alabama, cotton yard) Got my Mojo Working Got my mojo working, but it just won't work on you Got my mojo working, but it just won't work on you I wanna love you so bad till I don't know what to do I'm going down to Louisiana to get me a mojo hand I'm going down to Louisiana to get me a mojo hand I'm gonna have all you women right here at my command Got my mojo working Got my mojo working Got my mojo working Got my mojo working Got my mojo working, but it just won't work on you Play on! Got my mojo working Got my mojo working Got my mojo working Got my mojo working Got my mojo working, but it - uh uh - just won't work on you  White people, joining bands  Past, drums, (rhythm)  can dance LONG DISTANCE CALL You say you love me darlin' Please, call me on the phone sometime You say you love me darlin' Please, call me on the phone sometime When I hear your voice You ease my worried mind One of these days I'm gonna show you how nice a man can be One of these days I'm gonna show you just how nice a man can be I'm gonna buy you a brand, new Cadillac If you only speak some good words about me Hear my phone ringing Sound like a long distance call Hear my phone keep ringing Sound like a long distance call When I picked up my receiver The party said "Another mule kickin' in your stall" Check out participation online! Class 3 - LOUIS ARMSTRONG – New Orleans - Father passed away early, mother was prostitute - Raised by grandmother - Grew up on the streets of N.O with a lot of freedom (trouble!) - Storyville – home of the „red light‟ district - Coal picking for money for families and Armstrong got close with family with a piano - Always music - 1912 – Life change! – he was seen firing off a gun to celebrate new year (11 years) - Arrested and incarcerated – school for delinquents „Waif‟s Home for Colored Boys‟ - Bootcamp – military (wake up early, 15 mins to get ready for inspection) - State has custody over Armstrong (not parents) - Culture Shock - Studied music with Mr. Peter Davis – cornet, bugle - 1915 – release, taken in by King Oliver as an errand boy, protégé – already good cornet player - Armstong work with King Oliver, really influential jazz musicians - Marries Daisy Parker but she was abusive and came after him with a knife - One goal – leave Parker - King Oliver moved to Chicago to play for a band - Armstrong – Fate Marable Boat band, he gets to get away from Daisy Parker while still being married to her - Louisiana – gambling = crime. - Gambling on a boat to gamble, laws don‟t apply to different states - Louis Armstrong – a lot of improvisation (creating something on the spot) - Always wants to be free and fun - Simple and away from Daisy! - Becomes an even better musician because he was younger and more talented - Oliver sends Armstrong to Chicago - Oliver thinks he is more talented than Armstrong - Armstrong moves to Chicago and falls in love with Lillian Hardin (Uni degree, valedictorian, opera, classical music, teaches at a high level, plays piano) - Love is blind – divorces Daisy Parker - Marries Lillian Hardin (she is ambitious) - Loves to smoke marijuana on the daily, likes to take laxatives - He wanted to do an ad for the laxative company (his favourite one) - Jay Z of Jazz era - He is carefree because of marijuana, laxatives and he‟s happy $$ could buy those things - Wife is not interested in that, „you can‟t be second trumpet to King Oliver‟ - Louis doesn‟t really practice what he plays daily except Sunday - Always listening, getting disciplined by Hardin and make the day happy - She wants him to leave King Oliver‟s band and start their own Louis Armstrong band - She says she is married to the „World‟s Greatest Trumpet player” - Hot Five|Muskrat Ramble (1926) Hey now, heh! What's the reason for this celebration? Man, ya look at all those people there Hanging round this station Say, what's the big event? An essential train is coming On track number one Well, it's got to be the Pittzburg Pirates No, it's more important, son Is it the President? No no no no Brigitte Bardot? No no no no Then tell me who's about to arrive? Ee-hee! There he is now, Satch-a-mo and The Dixieland Five Oh, look at them shuffling, shuffling down A-rambling, scrambling over the town Hustling, bustling, buzzing around Never saw a bigger celebration Oh, look at the train, a number seven-o-nine Just a hugging and a-puffing And arriving on time Changing the town from dead to alive Satchmo and His Five We're gonna play that Muskrat Ramble tune And Mr Bing, the moment that it's played You lead us on the big parade Altogether now, one and two Join the happy throng Everyone start mushing, swinging the Muskrat song We'll be singing along Oh, Mr Bing, when you sing, that's the thing we do enjoy Well, Mr A, when you play, Gabriel say, Who that for? Everybody's walking, talking That Muskrat song While we amble that Muskrat Ramble While we amble along Oh, that's the best parade I ever been on, Satch! Natch! You are in New Orleans! While we amble along - 1926 - Credit for Scat Singing „Heebie Jeebies‟ - Dropped the lyrics but he missed a sentence or two so he made up syllables - Stompin at the Savoy – Ella Fitzgerald - One of the recordings „Heebie Jeebies‟ and he scatted to I‟m a Ding Dong Daddy from Dumas „I done forgot the words‟ in middle of song - Ella Fitzgerald was one of the greatest Scat singers - List in the operatic stage – you can read the music and play it anyway you want - He took a lot of liberties with the material ands styles the song the way he wants to - Louis takes a lot with the rhythm (he doesn‟t like metronome) – he likes Swingin‟ with the beat Ain’t Misbehavin (1929) No one to talk with, all by myself No one to walk with, I'm happy on the shelf babe Ain't misbehavin', savin' my love for you I know for certain the one I love I'm through with flirtin', you that I'm thinkin' of Ain't misbehavin' Oh savin' my love oh baby, love for you Like Jack Horner in a corner Don't go nowhere and I don't care Oh your kisses worth waitin' for, babe I don't stay out late, don't care to go I'm home about eight, me and my radio, babe Ain't misbehavin' Savin' all my love for you - 1929 – Armstrong is rich and well-known  Bessie Smith– proper way to sing, last week‟s lesson - Lillian and Armstrong – richer than King Oliver - He does whatever he wants to do, when they buy the record they like it and don‟t care either - Not the generic way of playing piano etc - 1929 Black & Blue (1929) Cold empty bed...springs hurt my head Feels like ole ned...wished i was dead What did i do...to be so black and blue Even the mouse...ran from my house They laugh at you...and all that you do What did i do...to be so black and blue I'm white...inside...but, that don't help my case That's life...can't hide...what is in my face How would it end...ain't got a friend My only sin...is in my skin What did i do...to be so black and blue (instrumental break) How would it end...i ain't got a friend My only sin...is in my skin What did i do...to be so black and blue - Right before the Great Depression and Crash - Moves to LA but gets caught for possession of marijuana - Louis finds Jimmy Collins in 1932 as manager - Louis signed to the mob and has to sign because he will get shot if he doesn‟t do all these gigs - Armstrong runs away to the East Coast and he is getting tailed - “bullet with his name on it‟ and goes to Europe - They knew him in Europe, could play gigs and make money - Louis in prime „Dinah” (Copenhagen) Dinah (1928) Carolina Gave me Dinah; I'm the proudest one Beneath the Dixie sun. News is spreadin' 'Bout our weddin'; I hear church bells ringin', Here's the song my heart keeps singin': Dinah, Is there anyone finer In the state of Carolina? If there is and you know her, Show her! Dinah, With her Dixie eyes blazin', How I love to sit and gaze in To the eyes of Dinah Lee! Yet, every night, My, how I shake with fright, Because my Dinah might, Change her mind about me! But if Dinah, Ever wandered to China, I would hop an ocean liner, Just to be with Dinah Lee! Dinah, Is there anyone finer In the state of Carolina? If there is and you know her, Show her! Dinah, With her Dixie eyes blazin', How I love to sit and gaze in To the eyes of Dinah Lee! Yet, every night, My, how I shake with fright, Because my Dinah might, Change her mind about me! But if Dinah, Ever wandered to China, I would hop an ocean!, Just to be with Dinah Lee! - PROBLEM: Jimmy Collins - Joe Glaser – runs Lincoln Gardens (he works for Al Capone) - Lieutenant runs the place, Ltnt = Joe Glaser - Armstrong asks Glaser, but he has a problem with Jimmy Collins - Louis signed up with Joe Glaser and no one ever heard of Jimmy Collins instead - Mass killer, how long is he signing up for? Life time/death - 1935 A Kiss to Build a Dream On on (Words are clear, concise) A Kiss to Build a Dream On (1951) Give me a kiss to build a dream on And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss Sweetheart, I ask no more than this A kiss to build a dream on Give me a kiss before you leave me And my imagination will feed my hungry heart Leave me one thing before we part A kiss to build a dream on When I'm alone with my fancies...i'll be with you Weaving romances...making believe they're true Give me your lips for just a moment And my imagination will make that moment live Give me what you alone can give A kiss to build a dream on (instrumental break) When I'm alone with my fancies...i'll be with you Weaving romances...making believe they're true Give me a kiss to build a dream on And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss Ah sweetheart, I ask no more than this A kiss to build a dream on - He said sold out - Records sold to the white audience - My Sweet Hunk of Trash (Billie holiday ft. Louis Armstrong) – words are clear and concise again - Music is slow and mellow - Mack The Knife – Armstrong on television for this song Mack The Knife (1947) Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear And it shows them pearly white Just a jackknife has old MacHeath, babe And he keeps it, ah, out of sight Ya know when that shark bites with his teeth, babe Scarlet billows start to spread Fancy gloves, oh, wears old MacHeath, babe So there's never, never a trace of red Now on the sidewalk, huh, huh, whoo sunny morning, un huh Lies a body just oozin' life, eek And someone's sneakin' 'round the corner Could that someone be Mack the Knife? There's a tugboat, huh, huh, down by the river dontcha know Where a cement bag's just a drooppin' on down Oh, that cement is just, it's there for the weight, dear Five'll get ya ten old Macky's back in town Now did ja hear 'bout Louie Miller? He disappeared, babe After drawin' out all his hard-earned cash And now MacHeath spends just like a sailor Could it be our boy's done somethin' rash? Now Jenny Diver, ho, ho, yeah, Sukey Tawdry Ooh, Miss Lotte Lenya and old Lucy Brown Oh, the line forms on the right, babe Now that Macky's back in town I said Jenny Diver, whoa, Sukey Tawdry Look out to Miss Lotte Lenya and old Lucy Brown Yes, that line forms on the right, babe Now that Macky's back in town Look out, old Macky's back!! - What is the song about? Why is Armstrong smiling when he sings? - Talking about shark eat fish, teeth white peals - Smiling to show the sharp teeth of a shark - Going back to old style - Slower transition to old style, but not coming back down - Old song from a play – Joe Glaser - Warning to Louis - Smirking to get away, sarcastic humor - The Joker – can‟t do anything - Smilin‟ sending a message to Collins - SUBLIMINAL messages – warning to anyone who would think to mess with him - Hello Dolly – Louis is untouchable and he is a millionaire Hello Dolly (1964) I said hello, dolly,......well, hello, dolly It's so nice to have you back where you belong You're lookin' swell, dolly.......i can tell, dolly You're still glowin'...you're still crowin'...you're still goin' strong I feel that room swayin'......while the band's playin' One of your old favourite songs from way back when So..... take her wrap, fellas.......find her an empty lap, fellas Dolly'll never go away again (instrumental break) I said hello, dolly,.....well, hello, dolly It's so nice to have you back where you belong You're lookin' swell, dolly.....i can tell, dolly You're still glowin'...you're still crowin'...you're still goin' strong I feel the room swayin'...while that ole band keeps on playin' One of your old favourite songs from way back when So...golly, gee, fellas....find her an empty knee, fellas Dolly'll never go away....i said she'll never go away Dolly'll never go away again - Everyone wanted to hear Hello Dolly and he didn‟t know what that was - He asked someone what that meant – did that song two months ago in NY - Louis couldn‟t remember the song or remember recording the song - You have to sing it several times over and over and produced it - Marijuana affecting his abilities and memory - Something going on - US forced integration of schools - White only and black only schools - Governor of Arkansas against the federal law, state in AK said we aren‟t implementing your federal law - Black children enrolled in the school, school opened in 1957 - Black children, federal government knew what would have happened - Send Federals to stop the children from going to school, including Louis - Reporter – THE MOVEMENT of Martin Luther King - Using the Black and White segregation - Armstrong called President Eisenhower a coward - Get him to apologize – managing and say sorry - Play the coward, fool - We are tired of the Black/White segregation - Wants to get away from Daisy - All he ever wanted was to get away - Doesn‟t do what other people say - 1957 - Hello Brother – Central High in Little Rock Arkansas - Financially Glaser helped him and in his career - Artistically speaking his music went fly line - Inspired a lot of musicians that looked up to him, taking jazz to go in different ways - 1968 What a Wonderful World I see trees of green........ red roses too I see em bloom..... for me and for you And I think to myself.... what a wonderful world. I see skies of blue..... clouds of white Bright blessed days....dark sacred nights And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world. The colors of a rainbow.....so pretty ..in the sky Are also on the faces.....of people ..going by I see friends shaking hands.....sayin.. how do you do They're really sayin......i love you. I hear babies cry...... I watch them grow They'll learn much more.....than I'll never know And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world (instrumental break) The colors of a rainbow.....so pretty ..in the sky Are there on the faces.....of people ..going by I see friends shaking hands.....sayin.. how do you do They're really sayin...*spoken*(I ....love....you). I hear babies cry...... I watch them grow *spoken*(you know their gonna learn A whole lot more than I'll never know) And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world Yes I think to myself .......what a wonderful world. PARTICIPATION ASSIGNMENT 1. IN YOUR OWN WORDS, EXPLAIN WHAT IS POSSIBLE REASONS AND/OR CAUSES THAT COULD LEAD A PROFESSIONAL SINGER LKE LOUIS ARMSTRONG TO FORGET THE LYRICS FOR THE SONG HELLO DOLLY? WHY WOULD IT HAPPEN 2. BASED ON YOUR CONCLUSIONS HAS LOUIS ARMSTRONG LOST CONTACT WITH THE LYRICAL CONTENT? MOREOEVER HAS HE BECOME DETACHED FROM THE MUSIC? YES OR NO. EXPLAIN 3. WOULD WE HAVE EVER HEARD OF LOUIS ARMSTRONG HAD HE NOT MARRIED LILLIAN HARDIN? WHY, WHY NOT? 4. HAS JOE GLASER BEEN A POSITIVE INFLUENCE IN LOUIS ARMSTRONGS‟S LIFE? YES OR NO. EXPLAIN? NEXT CLASS DUE – OCTOBER 02, 2013 Class 4 – Billie Holiday Now Baby or Never (1949) Hey fat daddy make up your mind 'Cause I've been waiting such a long, long time Now baby or never 'Cause I've been so good to you Now baby or never 'Cause I've been so lonesome, too Now baby or never If I mean anything to you Now baby or never 'Cause you wasted so much time Now baby or never 'Cause you can't make up your mind Now baby or never And it ain't no fault of mine It's got to be yes or no, it's either you stay or go You can't leave me on the shelf, you gotta commit yourself It's either you will baby or won't fall in love with me Gonna call you once more on the telephone I'll give you till twelve then I'll be gone Now baby or never 'Cause I've been so good to you Now baby or never 'Cause I've been so lonesome, too Now baby or never If I mean anything to you Now baby or never 'Cause you wasted so much time Now baby or never 'Cause you can't make up your mind Now baby or never And it ain't no fault of mine It's got to be yes or no, it's either you stay or go You can't leave me on the shelf, you gotta commit yourself It's either you will baby or won't fall in love with me I waited last night for you to call You give me no consideration at all It's now baby or never 'Cause you wasted so much time Now baby or never And you must make up your mind Now baby or never And it ain't no fault of mine It's got to be yes or no, it's either you stay or go You can't leave me on the shelf, you gotta commit yourself It's either you will baby or won't, you do baby or don't Either you will baby or won't fall in love with me  Holiday: If I‟m going to sing like someone else, then I don‟t need to sing at all  She got fired, why didn‟t she just what she was told?  She went with Lester Young and they would play music through the night  No one was making them do it  She knows Louis Armstrong  1936: Joe Glaser and Colombia Records  You can’t copy anybody and end with anything. If you `copy, it means you’re working without any real feeling. No two people on earth area alike and it’s got to be that way in music or it isn’t music.  She joined Glaser and had success  1938 – Lady Day with Artie Shaw (the band)  Helen Forest – that is her band  She‟s the leader of the band and she doesn‟t want Billie Holiday in her band  Speak Low (1937) Speak low when you speak love Our summer day withers away Too soon, too soon Speak low when you speak love Our moment is swift, like ships adrift We‟re swept apart, too soon Speak low, darling, speak low Love is a spark, lost in the dark Too soon, too soon I feel where I go that tomorrow is near Tomorrow is here and always too soon Time is so old, and love so brief Love is pure gold and time a thief We‟re late darling, we‟re late The curtain descents, ev‟rything ends too soon, too soon I wait, darling, I wait Will you speak low to me, speak love to me and soon  Billie Holiday wants to go to the front of the line of a hotel  She realizes she won‟t get her way so she quits  Glaser isn‟t too happy, tells her I heard you quit, but I know you didn‟t quit  Billie says I did quit and she doesn‟t want to play with the band anymore  Glaser is in Chicago and Billie is in NY  Billie needs to perform that very afternoon  23 year old girl said no to her and Glaser doesn‟t take no for an answer  He argues with her, but he does nothing, he „gave in‟  New Orleans – in a movie with Louis Armstrong  At her prime, Joe Glaser funded movie – to raise their profile in the US New Orleans (1947) Do you know what it means To miss New Orleans I miss it, each night and day I know I‟m not wrong The feeling‟s getting stronger The longer I stay away Miss the moist covered vines The tall sugar pines Where mockingbirds use to sing And I like to see the lazy Mississippi Are hurrying to spring The Mardi Gras memories Of Creole tunes that fill the air I dream of Oleanders in June And soon I‟m wishing that I was there Do you know what it means To miss New Orleans When that‟s where you left your heart And there is something more I miss the one I care for More than I miss New Orleans A kiss that is never tasted, is forever wasted  Holiday – no way I‟m doing another movie if you cast me as a „maid‟  Glaser – everyone knows you‟re not a maid  There aren‟t credible roles for black females  Joe Glaser does nothing but he if he really wanted to he could do something The Blues are Brewin’ I love the feel of Louis and the sound of Bessie Songwriters: EDDIE DE LANGE, LOUIS ALTER Eddie DeLange / Louis Alter When the moon's kinda dreamy Starry eyed and dreamy And nights are luscious and long If you're kinda lonely Then nothin' but the blues are brewin' The blues are brewin' When the wind through the window Blows across your pillow And tells you sleepin' is wrong If love goes a thirsting Till you feel like bursting Then nothing but the blues are brewin' The blues are brewin' Suppose you want somebody But you ain't got nobody You only got a gleam in your eyes Till somebody's found you And put their lovin' arms around you You got the feelin' you want to die But when the Lord up above you Sends someone to love you The blues are something you lose You're so busy doing The things that you're doing That love ain't got no time For brewin' the blues God Bless the Child (Sept 1936) – Columbia Records Them that's got shall get Them that's not shall lose So the Bible said and it still is news Mama may have, Papa may have But God bless the child that's got his own That's got his own Yes, the strong gets more While the weak ones fade Empty pockets don't ever make the grade Mama may have, Papa may have But God bless the child that's got his own That's got his own Money, you've got lots of friends Crowding round the door When you're gone, spending ends They don't come no more Rich relations give Crust of bread and such You can help yourself But don't take too much Mama may have, Papa may have But God bless the child that's got his own That's got his own Mama may have, Papa may have But God bless the child that's got his own That's got his own He just worry 'bout nothin' Cause he's got his own I never had a chance  1939 – Commodore Records  a large club – making a lot of money with performers and they wanted Billie Holiday to play as a regular  She‟s famous!  Tuskegee Institute records of lynchings between the years 1880 and 1951 show 3,437 African-American victims Lynchings were concentrated in the Cotton Belt: (Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama, Texas and Louisiana)  Song: talked about Lynching and it was about cotton fields and people were dying and being hung to death on the trees  LYNCH: (of a mob): kill someone, by hanging for an alleged offense with or without legal trial  You can‟t sing this song in the South because someone can kill you for singing this song  You can‟t put your name next to this song  Joe Glaser calls Holidays mom – Sadie is scared that her daughter is going to die  She couldn‟t get the song to record  She went to Commodore Records (1939) – the owner of the place talked to her  She wanted to arrange a session for this song and put it out under the label  Commodore said yes  She has an exclusive contract with Colombia Records (she broke her contract)  Glaser was furious, but she didn‟t lose her contract to Colombia  They wrote her an angry letter  Song became her biggest record – Strange Fruit Strange Fruit Songwriters: FROST,DAMON/PHIRI,AARON / Southern trees bear a strange fruit, Blood on the leaves and blood at the root, Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze, Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees. Pastoral scene of the gallant south, The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth, Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh, Then the sudden smell of burning flesh. Here is fruit for the crows to pluck, For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck, For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop, Here is a strange and bitter crop. - Joe Glaser is Al Capone‟s member - 1941 Johnny Munroe – drug user and married to Holiday - 1944 Decca Records - 1943 – Joe Guy: heroin user and marries Holiday - Both husbands physically abuse her - 1948 – Louis Mackay – Joe Glaser didn‟t want her to marry him - Mackay used to work for Glaser – he was a hit-man type of guy - He was a heroin user - 1948 – spending $500 to 600 on heroin and is a heavy drug user - She had a lot of miscarriages, never had a baby and always wanted one - She starts to sing songs Don‟t Explain – co-wrote Louis comes home with lipstick on his collar Don’t Explain Songwriters: HERZOG, ARTHUR JR. / HOLIDAY, BILLIE Billie Holiday / Arthur Herzog Jr. Hush now, don't explain Just say you'll remain I'm glad your back, don't explain Quiet, don't explain What is there to gain Skip that lipstick Don't explain You know that I love you And that love endures All my thoughts are of you For I'm so completely yours Cry to hear folks chatter And I know you cheat Right or wrong, don't matter When you're with me, sweet Hush now, don't explain You're my joy and pain My life's yours love Don't explain  People wondered why Holiday was singing such depressing songs  She went through periods of singing happy songs  My man actually speaks of her getting beat by her man My Man Songwriters: WILLEMETZ, ALBERT LUCIEN/CHARLES, JACQUES/YVAIN, MAURICE Channing Pollock/Maurice Yvain / Albert Willemetz/Jaques Charles It cost me a lot But there's one thing that I've got It's my man It's my man Cold or wet Tired, you bet All of this I'll soon forget With my man He's not much on looks He's no hero out of books But I love him Yes, I love him Two or three girls Has he That he likes as well as me But I love him I don't know why I should He isn't true He beats me, too What can I do? Oh, my man, I love him so He'll never know All my life is just despair But I don't care When he takes me in his arms The world is bright All right What's the difference if I say I'll go away When I know I'll come back On my knees someday For whatever my man is I'm his forevermore Love is a decision. You decide you love to wear a red dress the same way you decide to love a brute. Brute: A savagely violent person or animal  People want to listen to her depressing songs now  Audiences could  Domestic violence issue – she‟s singing about her because it happens to her and it has a social impact and people want to hear more  She‟s a real musician  She‟s in a real bad place  Philadelphia – got busted for heroin  Someone tipped off the FBI – in the hotel room – cops went there and she was arrested with Louis Mackay  1947: Prison for Heroin Possession – Martha Stewart went to the same prison  if you think dope is for kicks and for thrills, you‟re out of your mind. There are more kicks to be had in a good case of paralytic polio ro by living in an iron lung  she goes 8 months without heroin suffers withdrawal  Louis comes to prison and gives her heroin  Mackay says “You are my heroine” to Holiday  1948: Comeback at Carnegie Hall – sold out concert, just out of jail I Cover the Waterfront Songwriters: GREEN, JOHN W./HEYMAN, EDWARD Johnny W. Green / Edward Heyman Away from the city that hurts and knocks, I'm standing alone by the desolate docks In the still and the chill of the night I see the horizon the great unknown My heart has an ache It's as heavy as stone With the dawn coming on, make it last I cover the waterfront I'm watching the sea Will the one I love Be coming back to me I cover the waterfront In search of my love An I'm covered By a starlit sky above Here am I Patiently waiting Hoping and longing Oh how I yearn Where are you Have you thought back time Will you remember Will you return Will the one I love Be coming back To me  Caberet card – liquor/club, if you can‟t sing in those places you are limited to where you can perform  After prison, she had a hard time finding places to sing  Money was gone, all she was living for are small gigs and they are paying her nothing and most of the money went to heroin  Glaser took her to England  I’m always making a comeback, but nobody ever tells me where I’ve been You Don’t know What Love Is Writers: Don Raye, Gene de Paul Copyright: Leeds Music Corp You don't know what love is Until you've learned the meaning of the blues Until you've loved a love you've had to lose You don't know what love is You don't know how lips hurt Until you've kissed and had to pay the cost Until you've flipped your heart and you have lost You don't know what love is Do you know how lost heart feels At the thought of reminiscing? And how lips that taste of tears Lose their taste for kissing You don't know how hearts burn For love that cannot live yet never dies Until you've faced each dawn with sleepless eyes You don't know what love is You don't know how hearts burn For love that cannot live yet never dies Until you've faced each dawn with sleepless eyes You don't know what love is What love is Good Morning Heartache Goodmorning heartache You old gloomy sight Goodmorning heatache Thought we said goodbye last night I turned and tossed 'til it seemed you had gone But here you are with the dawn Wish I'd forget you, but you're here to stay It seems I met you when my love went away Now everyday I start by saying to you Goodmorning heartache, what's new? Stop haunting me now Can't shake you nohow Just leave me alone I've got those Monday blues Stright through Sunday blues Goodmorning heartache Here we go again Goodmorning heartache You're the one who knew me when Might as well get used to you hanging around Goodmorning heartache Sit down Stop haunting me now Can't shake you nohow Just leave me alone I've got those Monday blues Stright through Sunday blues Goodmorning heartache Here we go again Goodmorning heartache You're the one who knew me when Might as well get used to you hanging around Goodmorning heartache Sit down  It was very difficult for her to do the record  She was struggling with the drug use The End of a Love Affair Songwriters: REDDING, EDWARD C. / OSSER, GLENN Edward C. Redding So I walk a little too fast and I drive a little too fast And I'm reckless it's true, but what else can you do at the End of a love affair? So I talk a little too much, and I laugh a little too much And my voice is too loud, when I'm out in a crowd So that people are apt to stare Do they know, do they care, that it's only that I'm lonely And low as can be? And the smile on my face isn't really a smile at all! So I smoke a little too much, and I drink a little too much And the tunes I request are not always the best But the ones where the trumpets blare! So I go at a maddening pace, and I pretend that it's taking Your place But what else can you do, at the end of a love affair If you copy, it means you’re working without any real feeling  Recording of the song: She struggles to sing the song, repeats the same line 3 times  She is deteriorating as a person (health wise) and as a musician  She struggles to sing and can‟t sing the tune  Billie is not herself – she was in and out of the hospital  Liver failure, heart disease, long phase in the hospital  Heroin is being brought to the hospital – FBI finds out about it  She is going to jail if she get  1959 she doesn‟t get out of hospital – she‟s dead  She had a garter with $750 on her leg  She had sold a lot of records  Glaser realizes that Mackay gets all her ownership  Glaser ends up with everything  He took care of everything with Billie Holiday  She was even more popular after her death – she sold a lot of records after she died  Material was so personal – she redefined what music was about  Who was smarter? Glaser or Holiday? NATHANIEL ADAMS COLE – NAT KING COLE  Stable life, no mobsters etc  From Alabama – father was a pastor  He could play the piano at young age  Born in the South, grew up in the North of Chicago – hot bed of jazz, music  View of the people of the church is very „black and white‟  either singing for Jesus or the Devil  Jazz, blues  have to be devil music  Musicians were church people that went „secular‟ because of their musical interests  Nat King Cole starts a band with his brothers  Playing in Chicago, get a gig on the radio  Starting getting gigs across the States and they are still teenagers  Determination that at young age they are going to be musicians at the age of 10  Cole wants to be the greatest piano player  On a show called Shuffle Along  Moved to LA, comes to the attention of Capitol Records – Johnny Mercer  Not a big company – speck of dust, there‟s a war happening (WWII)  Good time to establish yourself once war is over  Major hit made in the Capitol – written himself called Straighten Up and Fly Right – 1944  No monster hits during this period of time because of the war  1945 – end of war, King Cole has put out enough records/connections and he will be the first big beneficiaries of the WWII Straight Up & Fly Right Nathaniel Cole, Irving Mills A buzzard took a monkey for a ride in the air The monkey thought that everything was on the square The buzzard tried to throw the monkey off of his back But the monkey grabbed his neck and said: "Now listen, Jack Straighten up and fly right Straighten up and fly right Straighten up and fly right Cool down, papa, don't you blow your top. Ain't no use in divin' What's the use of jivin' Straighten up and fly right Cool down, papa, don't you blow your top." The buzzard told the monkey "You are chokin' me Release your hold and I will set you free." The monkey looked the buzzard right dead in the eye and said "Your story's so touching but it sounds just like a lie. Straighten up and fly right Straighten up and stay right Straighten up and fly right Cool down, papa, don't you blow your top." (instrumental interlude) "Straighten up and fly right Straighten up and stay right Straighten up and fly right Cool down, papa, don't you blow your top."  Nat King Cole sold this song for $50.00 to Capitol Records  Johnny Mercer thinks he should focus more on singing  Route 66 W: Bobby Troup If you ever plan to motor west, Travel my way, take the highway that is best. Get your kicks on route sixty-six. It winds from Chicago to LA, More than two thousand miles all the way. Get your kicks on route sixty-six. Now you go through Saint looey Joplin, Missouri, And Oklahoma city is mighty pretty. You see Amarillo, Gallup, new Mexico, Flagstaff, Arizona. Don't forget Winona, Kingman, Barstow, San Bernandino. Won't you get hip to this timely tip: When you make that California trip Get your kicks on route sixty-six. Solo Won't you get hip to this timely tip: When you make that California trip Get your kicks on route sixty-six. Get your kicks on route sixty-six. Get your kicks on route sixty-six  A lot of records were made during the war period but became famous later  1945 – End of War  Record company holds 13 – 25, age range of the record buying people  BABY BOOM  Ascendancies of a crooners – male singers that sing love songs – full band/orchestra, tends to be slow music  Crooners did a lot of ballad music  Song below was a huge hit  Capitol records signed in 1943 – paid him money  The deal paid him what the deal said and he was rich For Sentimental Reasons (I Love You) Deke Wilson, William Best I love you for sentimental reasons I hope you do believe me I'll give you my heart I love you and you alone were meant for me Please give your loving heart to me And say we'll never part I think of you every morning Dream of you every night Darling, I'm never lonely Whenever you are in sight I love you for sentimental reasons I hope you do believe me I've given you my heart I love you for sentimental reasons I hope you do believe me I've given you my heart  This song was baby making music and many people liked these songs because the war ended and everyone wanted to make love to their partners  1948 – he‟s doing great  He is accepted in Hollywood  Married Nadine Robinson (first wife), but later marries Maria Ellington  She‟s rich and has a vision for him, she doesn‟t want a piano player Nat Cole  She wants him to croon and sing  Trio breaks up, the whole thing is Nat King Cole  Becomes the Biggest Black Artist in the World Christmas carol  He had a good contract (compared to Holiday, Armstrong, Smith) he made a lot of money Christmas Song Mel Torme, Robert Wells Chestnuts roasting on an open fire Jack Frost nipping at your nose Yuletide carols being sung by a choir And folks dressed up like Eskimos Everybody knows a turkey and some mistletoe Help to make the season bright Tiny tots with their eyes all aglow Will find it hard to sleep tonight They know that Santa's on his way He's loaded lots of toys and goodies on his sleigh And every mother's child is gonna spy To see if reindeer really know how to fly And so I'm offering this simple phrase To kids from one to ninety-two Although it's been said many times Many ways, Merry Christmas to you And so I'm offering this simple phrase To kids from one to ninety-two Although it's been said many times Many ways, Merry Christmas to you  He becomes a celebrity, taking limos and private airplanes to get to shows  Fee for the night is $20 000/night  Cole‟s daughter = Natalie Cole, she had a debutant ball and it was attended by J. F Kennedy  The president wanted to come to Natalie‟s ball Too Young (May 1951) Sylvia Dee Sid Lippman They try to tell us we're too young Too young to really be in love They say that love's a word A word we've only heard But can't begin to know the meaning of And yet we're not too young to know This love will last though years may go And then some day they may recall We were not too young at all And yet we're not too young to know This love will last though years may go And then some day they may recall We were not too young at all  Louis Armstrong‟s song released this year and he got a lot of back lash for his new way of singing  1951 – This is the biggest record in 1951  Everyone wanted to hear this song and all musicians wanted to sound like him  Everyone knows King Cole in the 50‟s  Why did King Cole make it big in jazz at this time and not Louis Armstrong  Nature Boy was brought to Cole by Eden Ahbez (a hobo) who was a Yogi – signed his name with the capital initials  Supposedly slept under the letter L in the Hollywood sign that is in Hollywood Hills Some white people hate black people, and some white people Love black people Some black people Hate white people and some black people Love white people So you see it’s not an issue of black and white, it’s an issue of Lovers and Haters -Eden Ahbez (1992)  Nature Boy becomes a famous song that Ahbez records with Cole and it becomes a huge hit  Ahbez wins a Bill Board award Nature Boy Eden Ahbez There was a boy A very strange enchanted boy. They say he wandered very far, very far, Over land and sea. A little shy And sad of eye, But very wise, very wise was he... Until one day, One lucky day he passed my way, And while we talked of many things Fools and kings, This he said to me: "The greatest thing You‟ll ever learn Is just to love And be loved In return.  Song goes to number one and stays at number 1 for weeks  Why is it so popular?  “The greatest thing you‟ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return”  Bill Putnam – responsible for all of the recording technologies – compressors, microphones etc  He works for Capitol Records  His music sounds as good as 2013 songs, quality of music was amaze!  Michael Jackson – everyone impersonates and makes money  Same thing with Nat King Cole – everyone impersonated and mimicked Cole  The way he dressed, presented himself and his musical/singing ways  He‟s still a Black man struggling during the 50‟s  He went back home to Montgomery Alabama (from there but did not stay there for so long)  Nat performed in Alabama and Nat allowed for the many Black relatives to sit in the front and sides of the auditorium, which at the time was not acceptable  Almost a riot – he tried to pacify the situation and they moved the Black people to the back but he still performed  Performed in Cuba Mona Lisa (July 1957) Ray Evans, Jay Livingston Mona lisa, mona lisa, men have named you You're so like the lady with the mystic smile Is it only 'cause you're lonely they have blamed you? For that mona lisa strangeness in your smile? Do you smile to tempt a lover, mona lisa? Or is this your way to hide a broken heart? Many dreams have been brought to your doorstep They just lie there and they die there Are you warm, are you real, mona lisa? Or just a cold and lonely lovely work of art? Do you smile to tempt a lover, mona lisa? Or is this your way to hide a broken heart? Many dreams have been brought to your doorstep They just lie there and they die there Are you warm, are you real, mona lisa? Or just a cold and lonely lovely work of art? Mona lisa, mona lisa  Many songs King Cole and other artists sang did not make the public  They would record several records (thousands) and only about one hundred would reach the public  1956 – NBC – agreement for the Nat King Cole –first broadcast on November 5 th 1956 without commercial sponsorship  Agencies were unable to convince international clients to buy time on the show because of fears that white Southern audiences would boycott their products  Cole “a man sees a Negros on a television show. What‟s he going to do? Call up the telephone company and tell them to take out the phone?”  No one wanted to see a black man in a suit Sweet Lorraine Just found joy I'm as happy as a baby boy, baby boy With another brand new choo-choo choy When I met my sweet lorraine, lorraine, lorraine. A pair of eyes That are brighter tham the summer sky When you see them, you'll realize Why I love my sweet lorraine. Now when it's rainin', I don't miss the sun Because it's in my baby's smile, whoa ho And to think that I'm the lucky one That will lead her down the aisle, whoa ho ho Each night I pray That no one will steal her heart away I can't wait until that lucky day When I marry sweet lorraine. Now when it's rainin' I don't miss the sun Because it's in my baby's smile, whoa ho And to think that I'm the lucky one That will lead her down the aisle, whoa ho ho Each night I pray That no one will steal her heart away I can't wait until that lucky day When I marry sweet lorraine.  Competition – hard to make a name for yourself during the 50‟s because Elvis Presley comes in at 195  Music seems like “parents music” and the youth don‟t like this kind of music  Cole went to Vegas as a performer  Highest paid performer in Vegas  1956 signed a contract to Sands Hotel in Vegas  Sang songs in Spanish, Portuguese, sometimes French  Released records in South America Darling Je Vous Aime Beaucoup (1955) Anna Sosenko Darling, je vous aime beaucoup Je ne sais pas what to do You know you've completely Stolen my heart Morning, noon and night-time too Toujours, wondering what to do That's the way I've felt Right from the start Ah, cherie! My love for you is très, très fort Wish my French were good enough I'd tell you so much more But I hope that you compree All the things you mean to me Darling, je vous aime beaucoup I love you, yes I do Wish my French were good enough I'd tell you so much more But I hope that you compree All the things you mean to me Darling, je vous aime beaucoup I love you, yes I do (darling, je vous aime beaucoup) I love you, yes I do  Stars in a movie called St. Louis Blues in 1958  He was in the movie Istanbul  Controversy because he was dark skinned and he put make up on in the movie to appear lighter skinned  What movie did Nat King Cole take part in on WCN? Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days of Summer Charles Tobias, Hans Carste Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer Those days of soda and pretzels and beer Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer Dust off the sun and moon and sing a song of cheer Just fill your basket full of sandwiches and weenies Then lock the house up, now you're set And on the beach you'll see the girls in their bikinis As cute as ever but they never get em wet Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer Those days of soda and pretzels and beer Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer Youll wish that summer could always be here Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer Those days of soda and pretzels and beer Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer Dust off the sun and moon and sing a song of cheer Don't hafta tell a girl and fella about a drive-in Or some romantic moon it seems Right from the moment that those lovers start arrivin Youll see more kissin in the cars than on the screen Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer Those days of soda and pretzels and beer Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer Youll wish that summer could always be here Youll wish that summer could always be here Youll wish that summer could always be here  Sounds like theatre songs or an opera  Very performance arts piece on T.V  His audience is white people and older generations  NOT for youth anymore  This kind of music does not fit for the generation  King Cole‟s music career is over in 1958  Smoked cigarettes on the daily and died in 1965 from complications with lung cancer  He died a multi millionaire – worldly rights  Natalie Cole became an artist in the 70s Unforgettable Unforgettable, that's what you are Unforgettable though near or far Like a song of love that clings to me How the thought of you does things to me Never before has someone been more Unforgettable in every way And forever more, that's how you'll stay That's why, darling, it's incredible That someone so unforgettable Thinks that I am unforgettable too Unforgettable in every way And forever more, that's how you'll stay That's why, darling, it's incredible That someone so unforgettable Thinks that I am unforgettable too Irving Gordon In your own opinion why Nat King Cole and only relative to the artistS covered, why do you think he was so popular and successful? White audience War Slow lovey dovey music Romance Relatable Why do you think he escaped from changing his musical style in comparison to Louis Armstrong? th October 16 2013 RAY CHARLES  Ray Charles is blind, song writer, from the South, plays piano, big into heroin  Born Sept 23, 1930  Born poor (poorer than all the other artists covered)  Lost his eye sight to a disease  Grew up with brother and mother  “I was born with music inside me. That‟s the only explanation I know of”  Mother did not want special treatment for him, so he went about his life as a „normal‟ person  Mother‟s living condition and demands of having children were overwhelming  Registered Ray Charles in a school for blind in Florida (8 years old)  They taught music at this school, would listen to the radio at night  Charles was really gifted, he would be able to hear the orchestra and dissect the orchestra into various instruments  Photographic memory of music  He could hear something and play it back and he could develop it  Charles is inflexible, stubborn,  He did not give Florida enough of his time  He decides to go Seattle (farthest from Florida), he took various buses with his briefcases and no cane (story)  Seattle probably wasn‟t better than Florida, he got lucky  Found some people in a band and they realized Ray Charles was a good teacher  Charles is a stickler for money, you must pay him in $1 bills  Since he can‟t see, the only money he wants is one dollar bills so he can keep count  He‟s a stickler for contract and agreements  Alarm clock set to 12 30 and when the clock rings, Charles stops playing music  Great time to get into the record business  Unlike Cole, he wasn‟t in the record business during the war  “The bulk of what I heard of blues in those days was called “race music”, which became Rhythm and Blues and Rhythm and Blues later was called Soul music”  He is not a star yet, but he is famous for doing Nat King Cole impression during the late 1940s  Everyone wants Cole to play for them  Impersonator  Charles loves Nat King Cole, “I ate, slept, and drank everything Nat King Cole” and he starts to do musical sets of Cole  Ray Charles had an ability memorize music  He made a lot of money doing these gigs  He gets noticed by a label named Swing Time  Great time to fish for talent because of the optimism of the post-war  Charles gets a record deal, these are not big records and he is not famous  Ray Charles jumps around from style to style Rocking Chair Blues – Ray Charles (1951) If you‟re feeling low down You don‟t have a soul to fear If you‟re feeling low down You don‟t have a soul to fear Just grab your hat and start the rocking chair There is Juke jobber and Judy Jim Pete Blowin‟ Cocktail Shorty And Ole Julep Joe I‟m telling you It‟s the greatest place Sentimental Blues – (William York) (1949) A sentimental blues Will worry you And make you do Things that you Wouldn't do Only when you Hear these blues A sentimental blues Will wet your eye You wonder why You heave a sigh You start to cry Each time that you Hear these blues Sigh, sigh, sigh And drool Cry, cry, cry You fool Yes, I know that it's cool A sentimental blues Deep down inside Will make you hide Your foolish pride A sentimental blues Will make you lose Your mind Sigh, sigh, sigh And drool Cry, cry, cry You fool Yes, I know that it's cool A sentimental blues Deep down inside Will make you hide Your foolish pride A sentimental blues Will make you lose Your mind  These records go no where  He puts out a ballad, all music sounds similar to Nat King Cole  A lot of influential musicians respect Charles  Quincy  Jones – plays trumpet, they are like groupies because Charles taught them musical tricks and he knew music  Charles sees a woman named Della (musician), he was in love with her and they later married  Della was into music and she said why are you trying to be Nat king Cole  She‟s on the Ball – Nat king Cole type song She’s on the Ball (Ray Charles) (1951) If you beg a date She says, "You're too late" Then later, she gives you a call Don't hesitate, you're in for a break 'Cause Jack, she's on the ball If she winks at you Don't you miss that cue For this is no time for a stall Man, call a hack, and get to your shack 'Cause Jack, she's on the ball No use in her denying You don't have to do much trying Just remember this, when she gives you her kiss Her heart, and soul, are pining So remember Gates It's never too late If ever she starts 'n to stall Just bait your trap, she'll fall just like that 'Cause Jack, she's on the ball {solos} No use in her denying You don't have to do much trying 'Cause remember this, if she gives you her kiss Her heart, and soul, are pining So remember-gate It's never too late Whenever she starts 'n to stall Just bait your trap, she'll fall just like that 'Cause Jack, she's on the ball Mm, Jack, she's on the ball (I'm tellin' you buddy) Jack, she's on the ball (Of course, if she's fine it's understood that) Jack, she's on the ball  This song sounds similar to Route 66  The quality of the music isn‟t there  Nat King Cole‟s voice is smoother  Della asked why Charles is doing Nat King Cole; she told him to do his own music  Charles tries to do R&B Kissa Me Baby (Ray Charles) - 1952 Well I wanta be your, lover man, so Baby won't you let me hold your hand Kissa me baby (all night long) Well, kissa me baby (all night long) Well, baby, love a dovey all the time Well I want you right, by my side To love and keep me satisfied Kissa me baby (all night long) Well, kissa me baby (all night long) Well, baby, love a dovey all the time Well the boys all wonderin' why, you're so hot But they don't know jussa what you've got Kissa me baby (all night long) Well, kissa me baby (all night long) Well, baby, love a dovey all the time Well tell me baby, what is your name You've got such a fine brown frame Kissa me baby (all night long) Well, kissa me baby (all night long) Well, baby, love a dovey all the time Well I'm gonna buy you a diamond ring Cadillac and everything Kissa me baby (all night long) Well, kissa me baby (all night long) Ohh, baby, love a dovey all the time Well I'm gonna buy a house in style For me and my little wife and child Kissa me baby (all night long) Well, baby (all night long) Ohh, baby, love a dovey all the time  Tries to sound like Little Richard, but it doesn‟t sound good  Little Richard‟s music is upbeat, catch, lively, energetic  Charles doesn‟t sound as good as Little Richard I’ll Do Anything But Work (Betty Hall Jones) - 1951 I'll take you strolling, 'round, lover's lane I'll come to see you, even in the rain I'll do any, thing for you, but work Sing your praises, hold your hand Tell the world that I think you're grand I'll do any, thing for you, (he-he) but slave I'll take you, to dine and dance Fill your ears with sweet romance See baby, I know I'm handsome but what the heck I'm all yours if you pay the check I'm yours to have, yours to hold But that word 'work' just leaves me cold I'll do any, thing for you, but work {solos} I'll take you, out to dine and dance Fill your ears with sweet romance Baby, I'm so good lookin' it's a shame But I'm all yours if you pay the check Yours to have, yours to hold That word 'work' just leaves me cold I'll do any, thing for you, but work  He can‟t get a record to become successful and he could not impress his wife  Early 50s, all his music kept failing  One fluke of nature : Lloyd Price – big star in the 50‟s  Price was signed to Atlantic Records and he was drafted for the Korean Music  Atlantic music was looking for a filler that would do Lloyd Price type music  There was a singing group of girls named “The Cookies”  He was relentless, he was so persuasive and convinced them to disband their group and join his own group  Margie is the „special cookie‟ and he begins this long affair with Margie  He was fooling around with a gospel song “The Man Who..?”  He sang music that awsn‟t appropriate because he took the music of a gospel song and he replaced the lyrics with different, romantic lyrics (secular music)  It created a hit  He changed the gospel song to “I Got a Woman” I Gotta Woman (1954) I've Got A Woman well I got a woman way over town that's good to me oh yeah Say I got a woman way over town good to me oh yeah She give me money when Im in need Yeah she's a kind of friend indeed I got a woman way over town that's good to me oh yeah She saves her lovin early in the morning just for me oh yeah She saves her lovin early in the morning just for me oh yeah She saves her lovin just for me oh she love me so tenderly I got a woman way over town that's good to me oh yeah Sax Solo She's there to love me both day and night Never grumbles or fusses always treats me right Never runnin in the streets and leavin me alone She knows a womans place is right there now in her home I got a woman way over town that's good to me oh yeah Say I got a woman way over town that's good to me oh yeah Oh she's my baby now don't you understand Yeah and I'm her lover man I got a woman way over town that's good to me oh yeah A Don't ya know she's alright A Don't ya know she's alright she's alright she's alright Whoa yeah oh yeah oh  A lot backlash because of the church and they petitioned for him to stop  Della didn‟t like this music  1954 - I Got a Woman became a number one hit track  he created soul music – it sounds like a song from church, but the music is not about Jesus/ it is about love November 6 2013 – DOO WOP  1954 to 1964  Doo wop – between four or five people, need to harmonize  Backing vocalists sang nonsense words as rhythm  Really something for young people, in school  13 to 25 (recording buying demographic)  Doo wop is for 13 year age group  Doo wop – comes from sounds that compliment music, lyrics  Choreographed dance moves, matching tuxedos  The Penguins had a mega hit  Group operated like a franchise – it is a name that somebody owns – (by Buck Ram)  Once they sign to record company, management treats entity like a franchise – either one of the members can be substituted, but the group remains the same  1950‟s – there is television, but not as pervasive (you don‟t see these musicians, you only hear them)  Some singers made a lot of money  Many doo wop groups were „work for hire‟ = you‟re paid a salary  1954 – salary of a dollar, $50 a week, but many generate millions of dollars Song: Earth Angel Artist: The Penguins Year: 195? Label: Dootone Records (manager = Buck Ram) Earth angel, earth angel Will you be mine? My darling dear Love you all the time I'm just a fool A fool in love with you Earth angel, earth angel The one I adore Love you forever and ever more I'm just a fool A fool in love with you I fell for you and I knew The vision of your love-loveliness I hoped and I pray that someday I'll be the vision of your hap-happiness oh, oh, oh, OH! Earth angel, earth angel Please be mine My darling dear Love you all the time I'm just a fool A fool in love with you-ou-ou I fell for you and I knew The vision of your loveliness I hope and p
More Less

Related notes for MUSI 1520

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit