Natural Science
Course
NATS 1610
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Winter

Description
Living body: Pre embryonic period, Ovulation and fertilization -ovulation: a secondary oocyte is released and swept into the oviduct -Fertilization: a single sperm penetrates the secondary oocyte, eventually the sperm and egg nuclei will fuse, resulting in a fertilized egg, or zygote -during early fetal development: diploid oogonia numbers increase in ovaries by mitosis • During month 3: oogania enlarge and store nutrients, become primary oocytes (enter mitosis I but do not complete it “arrested and remain diploid”) Mitosis I completed years later just prior to ovulation (starting puberty one at a time) -In summary: (review slide 9 in lecture 23) -Human females are born with 2 million plus follicles within ovaries • but puberty, down about 200000 to 400000 • Only about 400 are released, 1 or a few per month • Men continuously produce new sperm -Maturing follicles develop pools of fluid: follicle wall balloons on the surface of the ovary, ovulation occurs when follicle burst and releases egg -Egg is swept into oviduct- fallopian tube (by finger like projections called fimbriae -Oviducts have billowing folds on their inner, mucous –coate
More Less

Related notes for NATS 1610

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit