The Hygiene Hypothesis
Facts about the relationship between clean environment and allergy
Exposure to Stables and/or Farm Milk in the First Year of Life
• There is a lower incidence of allergy in those living on farms or in rural areas
• More exposure to bacteria and other antigens
• Pet Ownership reduces the Prevalence of Allergy in kids. Especially for outdoor dogs.
• There is a lower incidence of allergy in younger children of large families with 3 or more
• Repeated exposure to infection from siblings
• There is lower incidence of asthma in children who go to day care centers
• Where they are exposed to more infections
Allergy- The Hygiene Hypothesis
You are exposed to many infections after birth. In late childhood or adulthood, you’d barely be
susceptible to allergies.
• A hypothesis that states that exposure to allergens in the environment early in life
reduces the risk of developing allergies by boosting the immune system’s activity